No announcement yet.

To All AMD/Intel users....Conclusion...opti wins for now

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ok heres the render Stamp, In regards to Overclocking the Opterons, I really want to!!!!! But I need a step by Step guide for dummies to do that!

[/img]

Comment

Thinktank...have you tried rendering with the newer version of vray xxxr or the 1.4xx
      Reza Bahari
      visual3d@streamyx.com
      013-3428162

Comment

Yes, I think we would all like to see you render with 1.45! Might not be quite as excited about the results though...
        Tim Nelson
        timnelson3d.com

Comment

I would like to thanks all of you who took the time to bench your machines. It seem that Opteron leads in this benchmark...thanks to the 250, it is clear that it can outperforms the faster 3.2 from intel....most argument now is that the price is high....
          But if its faster and you get to use it in the future(64bit) then the switch to opteron or upgrade is worth it. Thanks again.

i guess for people who alredy own intel 3.0 or 3.2 is to overclock.
          Reza Bahari
          visual3d@streamyx.com
          013-3428162

Comment

Not that I'm bitter or anything :P but the 250 would have to compete with the 3.4 or 3.6 xeons based on price. Unfortunately none of them showed up for this one. And don't forget the latest batch of Xeons run 64bit too.
            Eric Boer
            Dev

Comment

I guess the guys at AMD and INTEL know that exactly and that's where the price comes from. So, you have to compare price including board etc.
              I think then it will come to exactly the same price...

regard,

robert

Comment

Well, AMD was not competing with P4 or Xeon but Itanium...that's where all this 64bit came from...
                And price wise it beats Itanium....however i have not seen a good review neck to neck on both of these processor when it comes to actual work.
                Its just about good marketing and timing...as you all know...IBM,SUN and HP have switch their workstation around...3 giants cant be all wrong?
                Besides...if amd is expensive it should be...you cant sell 64bit at 32's price.
                Reza Bahari
                visual3d@streamyx.com
                013-3428162

Comment

DELL Precision 650

Intel Xeon-A Dual 2.66 Ghz
                  MB Dell WS 650 Intel Chipset Placer E7505
                  RAM Samsung 2x512 Mg ECC
                  Graphics Nvidia Quadro FX 1000
                  HDD 120 Gb Maxtor 7.200 rpm ATA 133

3d Max 5.1
                  Windows 2000 server sp3

Hyper-Threading technology: ON

VRay Adv 1.09.03m
                  640x480 = 15 min 43.2 sg
                  Excuse for my poor GlobaLink english.

Comment

Reza, like RErender said, it's all good and well comparing Opterons to Xeons, but if you're going to use AMD's fastest, you need to use Intel's fastest, too. An Opteron 250 vs. a 3.2GHz or 3.0GHz Xeon is hardly fair. You need to get a couple 3.6GHz Xeon's, THEN have a competition. I have a feeling that you'd be changing the title of your thread again...

Comment

I still want to run it all on 64bit windows wen i have the time to change over.....I heard mental ray can spport 64bit completly.....???? might dthat over the weekend anyone know where i can download 1.45? demo

Comment

I agree/disagree with your coment about being fair...

to me its fair cause its 2.4 againts 3.2.....were talking about clock speed here...not 64 bit or 32bit.

64 bit only works if max is at 64....now its still running at 32...and as you can see most of us are still using xp32 or 2003.

if price is still the issue...a Jaguar XJ220 is more expensive than most of the ferarri's....but still cant beat them...

its just like saying we have to buy a more expensive intel to beat the opterons...
                        Reza Bahari
                        visual3d@streamyx.com
                        013-3428162

Comment

Working...
                        X