lightmap question - speed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• lightmap question - speed

i have a interior scene that renders fine with lightmaps subdivisions set to 200.

lightmap calculation is done in 5 minutes.

when i raise the subdivisions to 300 the calculation time increases unproportional. after 20 minutes the calculation is still not finished (maybe it hangs). have tested a few time with the same result.

with the default value of 1000 subdivisions i see no progress at all.

what im doing wrong?

sorry but i can not give away the scene.

first bounce is set to irradiance map, second bounce to lightmap.
    i use the medium settings for the irradiance map.
    vray 1.46.04

To get the number of samples you should square the subdivs setting:

200 subdivs = 40000 samples
    300 subdivs = 90000 samples

So it should take at least twice as long. Don't know why it should take over 20 minutes though.
    Torgeir Holm | www.netronfilm.com

Comment

it would take longer if it means he's running out of memory and the system is using virtual memory instead

Comment

i have 2 GB memory and only 600 MB virtual and 550 MB physical memory is used.

so i think it can not be a memory problem.

i will try to render that scene with 400 subdivisions over night.
        let´s see what tomorrow brings.

thanks.

Comment

I'm noticing numerous speed/scene related issues with lightmaps and the new build, it's hard to pin down at this stage but it doesn't seem to be memory related. Scenes hanging on 100% CPU utilization (small scenes) network problems, slaves crashing, problems with Xref's, misc max crashes......
          Richard De Souza

www.themanoeuvre.com

Comment

Yep, I can confirm that; especially if standard materials are involved; it's fixed already and will be better for the next build.

Best regards,
            Vlado
            I only act like I know everything, Rogers.

Comment

my scene only has standard materials and when i use more then 230 ligtmap subdivisions then vray hangs on some point.

with 200 subdivisons it renders ok.

Comment

Just for experimenting Long John, I know that Vlado has already fixed it, you may want to try a few things. First try putting a VrayWrapper on all your standard materials, second, try changing all your materials to Vray Materials.

Comment

Hi, i was experimenting those problems wint one of my scenes, and interior, then after some test i find that if i hide the objects with vray materias who has opacity it doesnt hags, so i change those mateials withe the blen option, i was having some serios troubles with it, aparently the opacity option on the vray mateirl doesnt work to well with lightmap. if you find something elese or maybe more accurate let me know..

ps: sorry my english is terrible, my native is spanish.

Comment

hi again, i also find that if you use the old method like the opacity map on the refract slot instead it doesnt hags either

Comment

Vlado- is it possible to get an updated build with the lightmap bug fixed?
                      Chris Jackson
                      Shiftmedia
                      www.shiftmedia.sydney

Comment

Working...
                      X