• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Very interesting topic !

Thanks to all
    Gael

Comment

vlado: what rgb values has the white material used in the white solution?

Comment

Vlado, if I set lightmap to screen, will it be the exactly the same for a 800*600 or 1600*1200 image? or are there other things that influence the LM result?

wouter
        Aversis 3D | Download High Quality HDRI Maps | Vray Tutorials | Free Texture Maps

Comment

more and more interesting this thread

good questions flipside I hope in positive answer by VLADO

bye

Please detach me from internet I have to works I can't stop me to watch this forum those days
          Workstation: Asus p9x79WS I7 3930K Noctua NH-D14@4200GHz SE2011 16GB RAM Kingston Hyperx Beast SSD 500Gb Samsung x2 SATA3 WD raid edition4 64MB GTX760 2GB DDR5 CoolerMaster 690III

https://www.facebook.com/essetreddi..../photos_albums

Comment

vlado: what rgb values has the white material used in the white solution?
            (200,200,200)

Vlado, if I set lightmap to screen, will it be the exactly the same for a 800*600 or 1600*1200 image?
            Yes. It will be the same if you set it to world scale too.

Best regards,
            Vlado
            I only act like I know everything, Rogers.

Comment

why do you use world scale when in the help file is written that screen is better for stills?

tia

Comment

why do you use world scale when in the help file is written that screen is better for stills?
                Because I wanted to compare it to the screen scale mode.

Best regards,
                Vlado

Comment

ah, ok.

thanks.

Comment

Here are my final tests (original 1600*1300 resolution)
                    dual xeon 2.8
                    1Gb Ram
                    no hyperthreading

1. HSV color mapping 2/2

LM calculation +-12 minutes
                    IR map +-20 minutes
                    (rendertime on image includes this time also)

full resolution image, straight out of max click this link: http://users.pandora.be/stor1/vray/full_res_02.jpg

A bit of post in photoshop:

settings for this image:

2. Linear color mapping 1/1

LM calculation +-20 minutes
                    IR map +-12 minutes
                    (rendertime on image includes this time also)

All other settings the same, except for lightmap:
                    subdivs=2500
                    size=0.005
                    screen
                    NO filters

full resolution image, straight out of max click this link: http://users.pandora.be/stor1/vray/full_res_01.jpg

A bit of post in photoshop:

So in example 1 I used less subdivs for LM, LM went faster but IR map slower. Results of GI quality look the same, except under the curtains. Probabely using 2000 subdivs without any filtering will work best, need to test that too maybe.

When using adaptive QMC as image sampler, you need to use high subdivs for glossies, which influences rendertime much less than with adaptive subdivision. If you use ad subdivision, lower all glossies to 10 and subdivs for area light also, otherwise it'll take forever to render!

My initial test with qmc in second bounce were 3H rendertime, and glossies were worse and GI looked terrible... So this is a pleasing result for me.

Wouter
                    Aversis 3D | Download High Quality HDRI Maps | Vray Tutorials | Free Texture Maps

Comment

Nice tests Wouter. So it seems that for these type of scenes adaptive qmc is the way to go. (that's also in the manual, but it is good to see a real example)

Side note: the first image shows clearly why I dislike HSV colormapping so much. Parts that ought to be white become fully saturated. Exponential corrects this with the disadvantage of desaturating the whole scene. I like the linear version the most, despite the blown out area. It feels more natural.

P.S. to Vlado: wouldn't it be possible to make a color mapping mode that preserves saturation in not blown out area's, or would that look weird. It just seems that neither of the current color mapping modes can adjust the image to what a human eye would see
                      You can contact StudioGijs for 3D visualization and 3D modeling related services and on-site training.

Comment

Hi Gijs,

I fully agree, I'm doing some tests on that. When set to linear, if you use 2 for dark and 1 for light, you get a perfect result! But you need to desaturate the GI solution a bit more, which by the way are excellent options

straight out of max, linear color mapping Dark:2/bright:1

Wouter

Comment

Hi flipside
                          First thanks for your great and useful work

A little suggest

try to use linear as color mapping and gamma output to get brighter and desaturated colors
                          bye
                          Workstation: Asus p9x79WS I7 3930K Noctua NH-D14@4200GHz SE2011 16GB RAM Kingston Hyperx Beast SSD 500Gb Samsung x2 SATA3 WD raid edition4 64MB GTX760 2GB DDR5 CoolerMaster 690III

https://www.facebook.com/essetreddi..../photos_albums

Comment

Good to see you figured it out, Wouter; I'm testing something slightly different now: instead of increasing all the subdivs, I'm trying to use the Global subdivs multiplier and using low subdivs everywhere else.

Best regards,
                            Vlado

Comment

I must say this has been one of the most useful threads for me since I started using vray. Thanks Wouter for starting it and vlado for participating in it in such depth.

The lightmaps for this build are much better than before, in my opinion. Shadows are much more defined and the softness of the image seems to be gone as well. Great job vlado! There worth the little extra time needed.

I was even able to get clean glossy reflection in this scene as well as others because of what was explained here. As you guys know, this had been driving me nuts. It had nothing to do with vray, it was the operator that was in error! Sorry for bitching about that one.

The gamma application to an image is really helping to speed things up. I can set the lights much lower than I normally would, which saves a great deal of time in calculations, and still get a nice clean and bright image. Great tip!

Anyway, looking forward to vlado's post and tutorial of the scene as I'm sure others are.

Tony

Comment

yeah thanks guy's for some very imformative information .... should improve things some what ....
                                Natty
                                http://www.rendertime.co.uk

Comment

Working...
                                X