Hey, A question for the proffesionals in here

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hey, A question for the proffesionals in here

Hi guys, ive posted here a couple times before, but anyways im a freshmen at Johns Hopkins University, and im majoring in computer science. My goal is to do what you guys are doing, specifically architectural visualizations and maybe movies and such. I was wondering what you guys studied to get where you are. I dont like my major very much and it seems to have no bearing on what i want to do. Any help would be appreciated. Thankss!

Dimitri
    http://dimitri.vze.com

well I can tell ya that a degree in anything doesn't guarantee a job in anything. Your either good or your not. www.cgtalk.com has alot of threads regarding this subject.

Myself, Im purely self-taught for about the last 7-8 years and have just now started doing this professionally, but I was probably a little overripe.

"Sometimes life leaves a hundred dollar bill on your dresser, and you don't realize until later that it's because it fu**ed you."

Comment

Ya, I would have to say self taught also. There are degrees out there that you might be interested in. I think Arizona has an Architectural Technology degree.

Comment

I am also mostly self taught and come from a Architectural background, An Architectural degree does not have much practical value in ArchViz though IMHO. I think Computer Science is a great place for you to be, the more you know what is going on under the hood the better. If I were in your position I would focus on Real Time technologies because I think that is where we are headed in the not so distant future. Next I think I would choose a Cinematics degree, there is much to be learned and applied to our field.
        Eric Boer
        Dev

Comment

the thing that interests me in this area is that it is brand new. Things are just becoming established ( I'm talking historically). That means there are still lots of self taught individuals in the field. If you look back 30 years at photography it was the same. I know people who were teaching photography in universities without degrees. That is very rare now.

In the art world they hand out degrees as they were penny candy. the reasoning I think is, It's your art that matters not the degree. At least that's why you can't get a PHD in art. Still, the degree gives you credibility. It helps the people hiring feel comfortable about their decision.

Whatever combinations of information you put together, because of your interests, will be useful.

If I was to give advice, I would say look at what everyone else is doing and then do something else. that way you stand alone.
          val valgardson
          http://www.photorealistic-rendering.com/

Comment

Well...I'm another self taught CG artist with an architecture background.

An Architectural degree does not have much practical value in ArchViz though IMHO
            Sadly RERender's comment is probably true. There are a number of things that I probably take for granted, but I think that you could easily learn everything you need to know about doing archviz in a week.

All that is going to matter later on is if your good.
            www.seraph3d.com
            Senior Generalist
            Industrial Light & Magic

Environment Creation Tutorial
            Environment Lighting Tutorial

Comment

I would say look at what everyone else is doing and then do something else. that way you stand alone.
              Hhhmmm....Personally I'd say it this way....

"Stand out"

In a field where the majority of the people get their jobs by getting referred by friends....Standing alone might not be the best idea.
              www.seraph3d.com
              Senior Generalist
              Industrial Light & Magic

Environment Creation Tutorial
              Environment Lighting Tutorial

Comment

i have a BFA in film animation however im mainly self taught and as for arch viz ive got no formal training in architecture. ive got a degree in mechanical and electrical engineering though at community college level

---------------------------------------------------
                MSN addresses are not for newbies or warez users to contact the pros and bug them with
                stupid questions the forum can answer.

Comment

Youve got too much education elf.... lol

"Sometimes life leaves a hundred dollar bill on your dresser, and you don't realize until later that it's because it fu**ed you."

Comment

i didnt even mention my 2 certificates in videography

---------------------------------------------------
                    MSN addresses are not for newbies or warez users to contact the pros and bug them with
                    stupid questions the forum can answer.

Comment

I thought about "stand out" and your right, it is always about referals and friendships. I'm only just starting to look into the world of CG as a way to live. Right now I make my money by teaching and art I generate (public sculpture, commisions) It's seems very similar, levels of fairly conservative people (the people who have the money) wanting a product that has high levels of craft.
                      You get work because of your reputation. that reputation is he/she can deliver on time, on budget are they easy to work with and of course high quality. this is about "standing out" in a crowd of similar skills

the "stand alone" comment is more to do with finding a niche that no one else can compete with. When it comes to that appliction everyone thinks "bob" is your man. Debevec is a perfect example of this.
                      val valgardson

Comment

haha a genius like that will always stand out... well unless he hides under a rock or something...

Comment

didn't you feel when you first started you were a genuis and you were going to conquer the world?
                          that's how i felt anyway when I was 20.
                          My prof.s encouraged me to take huge chances and to be as radical as I could with my thoughts and actions.
                          Maybe this guy is the next Debevec.
                          If he makes a series of really conservitive moves in his life he may never find his limit or potential.
                          this advice I was given has not failed me yet. I'm not saying I'm a genius (because i'm not) but I haven't reached my limit yet and I'm 40 now.
                          val valgardson

Comment

Wow, thanks for all your replies theyre really helpful. I dont think my school offers and classes in real time. I think the highest we go in computer science (graphics) is computer vision and some open gl stuff. But i will defenitely look into that. Right now i am self taught and have experience with just a few programs, and thanks to Vray proffessional looking visualizations are pretty easy to create. I think im gonna try to take some cinematic classes at the neighboring art school. Thanks again for all your help guys, any more information would be awesome. Thanks
                            Dimitri

Comment

Working...
                            X