No announcement yet.

help... I need a RenderFarm I think...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• help... I need a RenderFarm I think...

Hello to everybody.
    I setted my 2 scenes... almost good I think.

But now my client called me and I have to finish my render in the next two days.
    The problem is the resolution required: 5000x3500

I have no ideas... do u think I need a render farm?
    Do you know a reliable one in the net?

It's a big problem now...
    Thanks in advance

In the long run, your best option would be to make your own small render farm for yourself. So far I only have 2 computers, but it's really nice when using DR.

Since you probably don't have time to do that for this project you could always use the services at www.respower.com

There is a good thread on it here: http://www.cgarchitect.com/vb/showth...light=respower

They can handle Vray scenes and sounds like the custumer support is great. I haven't tried it yet but would like to.

Good luck!
    Tim Nelson
    timnelson3d.com

Comment

Another note is that I think you could probably manage to render at 5000 wide in the amount of time you have - depending on the scene & your computer of course.

I renderend one at 4500 wide last week and it only took maybe 5 or 7 hours total. That was using the second computer too but without it would have probably added maybe another 2 hours.

Just be very careful with your setttings. At a resolution so high you can get away with very low IRmap settings. Also if you are using Vray lights, make them saved with IRmap and lower the subdivisions. That will save you a ton of time.

Another time saver is if you are using a lot of glossy reflections in your scene: use the Adaptive QMC for AA instead of Adaptive Subdivision. Min=1 and Max=3 worked pretty well for me.
      Tim Nelson
      timnelson3d.com

Comment

Hi valentina have a look @ this script from script spot ... let you render in sections ...so you can render huge image's ...

http://www.scriptspot.com/scripts/we...a/BigRend1.zip

discription ............

Have you ever tryed to render a huge image (more than 3000x3000) ???
        The result is unpredictible, most of time the computer crashes because of the amount of memory needed to store the resulting image.
        Whith this plugin you can render 'infinite-sized' pictures, because you can divide the render into small pieces, and then join it whith any graphics app (i.e. Photoshop).
        An intuitive GUI will guide you over the options of this piece of software.
        Written by Tomas Cayuela Caudevilla
        Natty
        http://www.rendertime.co.uk

Comment

Natty, please excuse my ignorance. What is the difference between the script you posted and Max's slice render?

Comment

do you mean strips ? in network render ? ......dont you need more than one machine for that ?
            Natty
            http://www.rendertime.co.uk

Comment

what i do when clients request ridiculous resolutions is rendering it @ 1/4 res for example and resize it with photoshop.
              they never notice, they are too concerned with checking the stored dpi value.
              Marc Lorenz
              ___ ___ ___ ___ ___ ___ ___ ___ ___ ___ ___ ___
              www.marclorenz.com
              www.facebook.com/marclorenzvisualization

Comment

Yes and No, Natty. You need backburner up and running to use that strip/slice render, but one machine could be a network.

What I have done in the past is turning on both the Backburner Manager and Server on my laptop and let it become a self contained render farm. Just make sure "Automatic Search" is checked under "Manager Name/IP Address."

This setup works really well when I am on the road and need to render stuff in my hotel room.

Comment

I use a PhotoShop plug-in called Genuine Fractals to produce high-res images for print. This is what print houses use to resize images for print. You can start with an image of 1500x1200 and resize it to any size from there. It's difficult to tell the difference between the original and the resized version. It works way better than the standard PhotoShop resize. The instructions say to use an image of about 20 megs, but I get good results with far less.

They used to have a free trial. The website is www.lizardtech.com. The site seems to be down right now but it can be purchased on the Adobe website for 160 USD (which wouldn't go far on a render farm). It can be found at: http://store.adobe.com/store/product...s_Alta_Genuine

With this plug-in there is no need to render images much bigger than 10 megs (about 2100x1700 pixels)

Comment

arobbert; is genuine fractals really that good?
                    do you have any examples or links to any?

thanks.
                    when the going gets weird, the weird turn pro - hunter s. thompson

Comment

hello! Thanks to all for help me so much!

I contacted same renderfam... but yesterday my boss tell me to renonce at good quality.
                      I'm so sad because spent a lot of time setting the scene! grrr

go on...

@AROBBERT it's very interesting your post! But I never heared that!!!
                      does it work fine??? Really fine!? Incredible...

Comment

hmmm, i would love to work at smaller res, At work we render out to minimum of 6000x4000. but when we montage then render sizes on some can be larger than 10,000, before they are cropped down.
                        Makes huge photoshop files too!

interested to see if fractal thingy works.
                        Freelance TD/Generalist
                        http://www.vanilla-box.co.uk

Comment

Yea I would really like to see a comparison between an image rendered at full resolution and then one rendered smaller then blown up using the plug-in.

For my last rendering the detail at 4500 pixels wide was so great that you can read the edge of the magazine on the coffee table. I doubt that I could render at 1200 wide and get anywhere near the same results when I use the plug-in.

At any rate, I'd like to know more, since I wouldn't mind cheating from time to time.
                          Tim Nelson
                          timnelson3d.com

Comment

Like I said, this is what print houses use and I have had very good luck with it. The website is up and they have a working demo good for 20 conversions.
                            Give it a try and use the best settings. Let me know what you think.

Alexie

Comment

In the instructions they say to use an image that is at least 20 megs. I generally use an image that is 50% of the intended output with a minimum of 1300 pixels. You save the image to the "stn" format and then open and resize that image.

Alexie

Comment

Working...
                              X