I'm cringing...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I'm cringing...

Oh boy, I am sorry to ask a tedious question like this. I know it's annoying.

I want to run the old version (1.09.03r) and the new build; 1.46.08, on the same machine. I will migrate to the new build when I'm comfortable with the transition.

I'm running vray 1.09.03r without any problem whatever. It's properly authorized and legal.

I have downloaded and installed the newest build of the beta; 1.46.08.

I've copied the Max dir and renamed it.

I have created a desktop shortcut so that I can launch the respective versions without confusion.

I've edited the plugin.ini file to reflect the new dir name.

1.09.03r still runs fine.

I launch the new build and get the VRay: Authorization dialogue when I attempt to render. It asks me for V-Ray License Server (computer name or IP address where VRServer.exe is running).

Question:

Do I input my computer name, (since my computer is discreetly named on the office network) or the IP mentioned in the help file on the Vray site which is 127.0.0.1?

Apologies for the question. I'm afraid to mess up my install altogether.

You need to copy the dir first and then install vray!

1. make sure you have a normal max dir with vray 1.09 installed in this dir
    2. copy all that to a new dir, with a new name and in te same folder as your other other max folder (usually c
    3. delete all vray files out of this dir (see helpfile)
    4. install the beta build in this dir
    5. open the plugin.ini and 3dsmax.ini of the new dir in notepad
    6. use the 'replace' command to replace all references to the first max folder with the new folder

That should be enough.

wouter
    Aversis 3D | Download High Quality HDRI Maps | Vray Tutorials | Free Texture Maps

Comment

I did this...

Flipside,

I have done everything you suggested (in the proper order) with the exception of editing the 3dsmax.ini file.

If I edit the 3dsmax.ini file will I avert the V-Ray authorization dialogue?

Why is this step never mentioned in the postings I've read about installing and running multiple versions?

Can anyone else add any other advice?

Comment

okay...

Making changes to the 3dsmax.ini file had no effect on the authorization issue. I still get the dialogue.

Any ideas?

Comment

Have you ever had another beta version installed? like 1.45?

If you didn't, you will need to authorize. The new beta builds have another authorizing system.
          Aversis 3D | Download High Quality HDRI Maps | Vray Tutorials | Free Texture Maps

Comment

no other beta ever installed...

Nope. Never had any other beta version installed.

Egz has a page on vray.info that explains the process of dual installations. It makes no mention of a completely new authorization.

Guess I'd better ask the tech support professionals.

Comment

Yes the authorization changed, just read the help files about it. You will need to reauthorize, the codes are completely different than before. This is very normal, I had to do it too. Once you have that code you don't need to reauthorize for each new beta build.

Comment

Re: no other beta ever installed...

Originally posted by jojo7077
                It makes no mention of a completely new authorization.
                it assumes you already authorized I guess

Comment

Working...
                X