Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

switching Vray1.46 to a diferent workstation - license busy?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• switching Vray1.46 to a diferent workstation - license busy?

Hello,
    We`ve got one Vray license - it`s installed on a server machine (to which I have limited access - it`s maintained by the admins from far away ).

Till now I`ve been using Vray interface on my workstation only (max5.1), but yesterday we wanted to switch to another workstation in the same local network - so I`ve closed 3dmax application on mine and we installed Vray 1.46 on the other machine (max5.1 as well), and tried to connect to the license server, we succeeded connecting, but it won`t take the license, saying:
    "All of the Vray licenses are engaged.
    Close any running copies or try again later."
    But the thing is, that we didn`t have any Vray copies running at the time.
    (And the license is still working for my machine, when I re-open max)

Why can`t we switch the machine with the Vray interface?
    (I thought that this is what the new licensing system was invented for)
    What is the problem, or what I do wrong?

Great thanks for a quick answer / solution.
    http://miroslawski.net

I would try first closing max on both machines then closing the VRay floating licence server. Then re-starting the VRay floating licence server and restarting Max on the machine you want to work on.

Dan
    Dan Brew

Comment

DanielBrew wrote:
      "I would try first closing max on both machines then closing the VRay floating licence server. Then re-starting the VRay floating licence server and restarting Max on the machine you want to work on."

so, this requires that I have an access to the machine running VRLserver.exe?
      this is as I thought.
      this can be a little tricky in my situation, cause I am not an admin here - I will have to call`em up and order this to be done each time I need to switch.

there`s no other solution?

maybe I should install the license server on one of the workstations rather than on the fully-guarded-safety-protected server machine? what do you think? is that problematic to move the license onto another machine?
      thx,

Comment

It should work just the way you expect, you do not need to restart the vlserver every time you switch. Max 6+ is notorious for leaving Max processes running after closing/crashing Max, I suspect one of theses ghost processes, just look in task manager.
        Eric Boer
        Dev

Comment

Originally posted by RErender
          It should work just the way you expect, you do not need to restart the vlserver every time you switch. Max 6+ is notorious for leaving Max processes running after closing/crashing Max, I suspect one of theses ghost processes, just look in task manager.

I`ve checked for any leftovers in the task manager, there isn`t any.

I`m running Max 5.1 here.

Comment

Working...
          X