Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RPCs...shadows, opacity and speed?

Hey all,

We were thinking about buying some RBC's but they are REALLY expensive so have to make sure they will do the job.

I was looking at one of the automobile libraries, resort people and some other animated people etc. I have a couple of questions:

do they render quickly with vray or am i better off looking for low poly models?

in terms of animating them, would you need to precalculate the lighting for every frame? or else is it possible to render them out on a seperate pass and composite them afterwards? <--how does this go with shadows?

I guess the main question is speed, if they are based on standard opacity mapping then they probably render very slowly right? is there a way to convert them to vray opacity? I know from testing some xfrog plants that this opacity issue can make a big speed difference.

Something I just thought of then was to render the animation with RPC objects with an override material in vray that only renders out the RPC shadows, but otherwise makes all materials transparent and part of the alpha channel. Is this possible? how would I do this? this would be great for rendering animated RPC's on a seperate pass.

If anyone here is using them in production and has further comments/ concerns that would be a great help, thanks!

I have been using RPCs for a while now but have only just started using Vray. I find that Vray shadows work really well with them. I think that if anything, the renderings are faster.

I suggest you download some of the sample content from their site and see how you go on.

http://www.archvision.com/democontent.cfm

I am sure that there are some rules for using RPCs with Vray, I am not sure how they react to global illumination.

If there are some ground rules on this subject I would love to hear them. We have invested quite a bit in RPCs and i would like to get them looking as good as possible.
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Has the world gone mad........................or is it me?

Comment

Working...
    X