Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Materials in 1.46.09

Hello all,
    I have taken the jump to 1.46. A few quick questions...

1.) how do you use the new Hglossiness in the material editor. Cant find any direction in the help file.

2.) I have come across several threads discussing the fact that existing 1.09 files will slow down in 1.46, so start fresh. However, some of you have led me to think that even older materials from 1.09 should not be used. Has anyone experienced problems with older materials?

3.) Is "adaptive QMC" the same as the old "Simple two-level"? It is not referenced in the help file, however "two-level" is.

Thanks
    -k

The help file for the beta release is actually in the members area of the vray site. (where you downloaded vray from)

The explainations for the Hglossiness and adaptive QMC are there.

In terms of rendering older 1.09 scenes. Some of main issues are the subdivs for the glossys and also the Quasi Monte Carlo (for 2nd bounce) These were default of 50 in 1.09 but in 1.46 they are now 8. But opening a 1.09 scene results in them being at 50, and thus much longer render times. Also you can have lower IR map settings and still get compareable quality.

Alot of what you need to know is in this thread.
    http://www.chaoticdimension.com/foru...flipside+scene
    Read thru the lot of it, its worth it

Comment

I have already looked in the help file and I see no reference to Hglossiness and the image samplers still refer to "Two-Level" not "adaptive QMC".

I understand most of the setting changes and have already read most of these threads. The point I was getting at was that its not the 1.09 files slowing down 1.46 its the use of 1.09 materials in 1.46. It basically seems that with 1.46 you need to create ALL materials from the scratch as "1.46" or your render times will be dramatically slower.

Comment

mmm i think you are looking at the wrong one, as i just double checked and it had all the information regarding adaptive qmc .

Mind you it didnt go into any more detail about hglossys tho.

The materials from 1.09 will slow things down mainly because the subdivs are alot higher. But it doesnt hurt to rebuild them, because there are big some changes in the way certain material properties work.
        But like i said there are also rendering settings which can be lowered in 1.46 which will be too high in a 1.09 scene. So as long as you are aware of these items then rendering a 1.09 scene in 1.46 shouldnt be to much hasstle.

Comment

Here is a good start...

http://www.chaoticdimension.com/foru...396&highlight=

It takes time for the helpfile to be updated considering new features.

--Jon

Comment

Working...
          X