Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is it bad if I turn the highlights burn in the VFB window all the way down?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is it bad if I turn the highlights burn in the VFB window all the way down?

Internal arc viz renders:

I feel like I'm cheating a little bit, but I get a more smooth image.
    http://www.jd3d.co.uk - Vray Mentor

I don't think there's any issue with that. Do what feels natural. Most of the time I turn it down too. It's same with photography. Cameras apply response curves in order to produce a nicely exposed image, otherwise you'd be getting an image similar to a non gamma and color corrected rendering.
    Aleksandar Mitov
    www.renarvisuals.com
    office@renarvisuals.com

3ds Max 2023.2.2 + Vray 6 Update 2.1
    AMD Ryzen 9 9950X 16-core
    64GB DDR5
    GeForce RTX 3090 24GB + GPU Driver 551.86

Comment

I do this sometimes but I think it is actually better to not do this in the VFB but to do it in post instead. That way you have more control over the final look.
      Regards

Steve

My Portfolio

Comment

No.
        Weird question. Cheating what?
        Kind of reminds me 15 years ago when photographers were proudly exclaiming, "no photoshop!" as if the imaginary 'purity' of the images made them better.

There are no rules, no one gives a damn how you get the results, as long as the images look good. Of course reducing burn makes them look better, and if you do not do any hdr->ldr tonemapping in post then obviously you should do it in VFB
        I haven't met anyone who looks at high contrast, burnt out highlights, linear output image on ldr monitor and exclaims, wow, looks so real!

Comment

Originally posted by stevesideas View Post
          I do this sometimes but I think it is actually better to not do this in the VFB but to do it in post instead. That way you have more control over the final look.
          which tool do you suggest as a post alternative to have an highlight compression equivalent to the burn slider in vrfb?
          Alessandro

Comment

Originally posted by zeronove View Post
            which tool do you suggest as a post alternative to have an highlight compression equivalent to the burn slider in vrfb?
            These are not quite equivalent, but they do provide utilities for tone-mapping HDR images - HDR Expose (http://pinnacleimagingsystems.com/products/hdr-expose-3) and Picturenaut (http://www.hdrlabs.com/picturenaut/), but I'm sure there are others.

Best regards,
            Vlado

I only act like I know everything, Rogers.

Comment

PS Camera raw and picturenaut will do the trick for u.
              www.yellimages.com

Comment

Hi All,

When I load an unclamped EXR from Vray to Camera Raw in Photoshop the image goes crazy. Generally brighter and more contrasty with default camera raw settings.
                Is there any fix for that?

Comment

Originally posted by ARTECONI-CGI View Post
                  Hi All,

When I load an unclamped EXR from Vray to Camera Raw in Photoshop the image goes crazy. Generally brighter and more contrasty with default camera raw settings.
                  Is there any fix for that?
                  Are you using the latest version of Photoshop CC ? Because in the new version I noticed that ACR tonemapping have been updated. Now then default settings do not alter the image at all.

mekene

Comment

I like the "Shadows/Highlights" adjustment layer in Affinity Photo much better than the Highlight burn slider in the VFB. Affinity's tone mapping is also pretty sweet
                    Kind Regards,
                    Morne

Comment

You lose HDR information if you do that. I like to leave everything unclamped and the image slightly underexposed and do everything in ArionFX. It has a highlight burn slider that works really well.
                      Check my blog

Comment

Working...
                      X