Ryzen processors a good choice?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ryzen processors a good choice?

Hi, i just started noticing AMDs prices and saw some results in vray benchmark. I noticed that ryzen1800x is two times faster than 5820k.
    Whats the downside with using AMD processors in vray? Loss of embree? Thinking first time after many many years to switch to AMD. Any tips appreciated.
    www.yellimages.com

Not sure what the downsides are. So far embree works great (embree is a software thing and it is expected to work on all x86-64 processors).

Best,
    Blago.
    V-Ray fan.
    Looking busy around GPUs ...
    RTX ON

Comment

Good to know, cause its like half the price for the same power. Any other stuff related to intel and AMD is lacking that slow down vray in any way? thanks blago
      www.yellimages.com

Comment

Nothing that I am are aware of. We have few Ryzens in the office and they work great.

Best,
        Blago.
        V-Ray fan.
        Looking busy around GPUs ...
        RTX ON

Comment

I don't know if it's the Ryzen, its motherboard, my GTX 1070, or what. but I've been having a lot of issues with Chrome and flashy web ads and such with this computer. It doesn't seem to take a lot of web ads in open tabs to cause hiccups, freezes, and audio interrupts. Other than that, it's a speedy computer.
          - Geoff

Comment

Thanks for the replies. Yea seems odd but if it runs vray as fast as expected, im all in. The more i read about the new upcoming Threadripper the more i get excited.
            www.yellimages.com

Comment

Yeah, I'm getting excited with building a small render farm using Ryzen or Threadripper. I currently use just a single 5960x, but with a small cluster of Ryzen 1700's, which I believe have about the same performance as my 5960x but for around
              Jez

------------------------------------
              3DS Max 2023.3.4 | V-Ray 6.10.08 | Phoenix FD 4.40.00 | PD Player 64 1.0.7.32 | Forest Pack Pro 8.2.2 | RailClone 6.1.3
              Windows 11 Pro 22H2 | NVidia Drivers 535.98 (Game Drivers)

Asus X299 Sage (Bios 4001), i9-7980xe, 128Gb, 1TB m.2 OS, 2 x NVidia RTX 3090 FE
              ---- Updated 06/09/23 -------

Comment

Working...
              X