QUESTION: Depth Map

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• QUESTION: Depth Map

Hello. I was wondering f there is a way for Vray (1.09.03r) to render a depth map similar to that of the Render Elements of the MAX scanline renderer. I tried playing with the G-Buffer outputs but with no sucess (maybe I am doing it wrong). Can anyone please outline the steps I need to take in order to accomplish this (if it is possible in the first place). Thanks.

JG

I am working on a script to do just that, not to difficult to access if you know a little scripting, it is exactly the same as saving the z-buffer from scanline.
    Eric Boer
    Dev

Comment

please keep me updated on your progress. right now i think i will just do the old fashoined way, render using scanline without textures and lights and use the render elements depth map.

Comment

im sure I found that the anti aliasing is slightly different, so you get strange edges. Or am I off base. I read somewhere about renderering double size and scaling down, especially with lenscare plugin.
        Freelance TD/Generalist
        http://www.vanilla-box.co.uk

Comment

I think you can use linear fog to do this in max, or simply to use the scanline renderer to get the z-depth.

Best regards,
          Vlado
          I only act like I know everything, Rogers.

Comment

Originally posted by unknown
            im sure I found that the anti aliasing is slightly different, so you get strange edges. Or am I off base. I read somewhere about renderering double size and scaling down, especially with lenscare plugin.
            I know what you mean, cant remember when exactly it happens though
            in render elements you can turn on z depth filter to aa it though I think
            www.simonreeves.com - me
            www.analogstudio.co.uk - where I work

Comment

Any news on this script?
              Scanline poses an issue due to use of proxies.
              Cheers
              Mike K
              Two heads are better than one ...
              ....but some head is better than none.....

Comment

The RC's support Z-Depth as a render element so a script would be obsolete
                Eric Boer
                Dev

Comment

Some of us are stuck on older versions until we get the go ahead to upgrade to Max 9.....
                  Two heads are better than one ...
                  ....but some head is better than none.....

Comment

The RCs are available for both R8 and R9 tho

Comment

Originally posted by instinct
                      The RCs are available for both R8 and R9 tho
                      You gotta realize some people work at places with anal employers that don't even give them access fully to their machine, let alone let them upgrade software, whenever they want, regardless of reason. *shrugs

"Sometimes life leaves a hundred dollar bill on your dresser, and you don't realize until later that it's because it fu**ed you."

Comment

The blurscripts pack has an atmpass script that'll do this.

Comment

Working...
                        X