Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Distributed Rendering Not Using All CPUs

Hey all

I've noticed something interesting with distributed rendering. I've only just gotten into it. On my main machine I have a single six core i7 CPU, so a total of 12 buckets (threads). On my networked machine, I have installed two six core Xeon processors, so I should have 24 buckets (threads) on that machine. Back when that dual-CPU machine was my main computer, I would render with V-ray on it all the time and it did indeed use all 24 threads. However now, when I use network bucket rendering, I see a total of 12 buckets for my main machine, and 12 buckets for my dual processor machine, when that machine should have 24 buckets. Any idea why this might be?

Thank you!
    - Tommy

Can you type in the MaxScript listener
    Code:
    renderers.current.system_numThreads
    and tell me what comes out? Is it possible also that you or someone else limited the number of threads on the render slave by setting the environment variable VRAY_NUM_THREADS?

Best regards,
    Vlado
    I only act like I know everything, Rogers.

Comment

Strangely, when I use that code in the maxscript listener on my slave machine, it comes back with "0". Is this because I'm using Vray as a render slave on this machine?

Comment

Interesting I have just tried that script in the listener on i7 and Xeon workstations and render nodes and they all come back with "0"
        Chris Jackson
        Shiftmedia
        www.shiftmedia.sydney

Comment

"0" is the default value, it means that there is no limit to the number of threads to be used.

Comment

Thanks Codi.
            Chris Jackson
            Shiftmedia
            www.shiftmedia.sydney

Comment

hello , i have same problem
              i send render from my workstation and five machine 8700 with 6 core and ht but i see only 4-6 core ( bucket for machine) into VFB...
              please help me
              thanks a lot.

Comment

if you uncheck use local machine in DR, then render on your DR machine alone, remote into it and see if all cpus are used or half via task manager?
                Dmitry Vinnik
                Silhouette Images Inc.
                ShowReel:
                https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qxSJlvSwAhA
                https://www.linkedin.com/in/dmitry-v...-identity-name

Comment

Working...
                X