Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Dumb question: what essentially is the difference between IPR and RT?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dumb question: what essentially is the difference between IPR and RT?

and is IPR replacing RT?

is hybrid rendering available for IPR?

I was wondering the same thing.

Comment

I hope you don't mind my rusty explanation and correct me if I'm wrong but think of V-Ray as being made of two different engines. Also think of Chaos group being a software developer made of different departments each with their own focus.

The developers make V-Ray and its features primarily with coding for CPU based rendering. This makes coding easier, better to debug more stable and reliable. I also suspect they develop primarily for 3ds max and CPU after that its features have to be remade for other platforms like Maya and so on.

V-Ray RT is an engine developed by the GPU department of Chaos Group. They have to rebuild all the features that the CPU engine offers from scratch with languages that run on graphics cards. The RT Engine can be run on CPU or CUDA.

IPR is Iterative Preview Rendering and can be done in CPU and GPU Engines. You can make live updates at render-time and is used heavily in look development.

Comment

Originally posted by stevejjd View Post
        I hope you don't mind my rusty explanation and correct me if I'm wrong but think of V-Ray as being made of two different engines. Also think of Chaos group being a software developer made of different departments each with their own focus.

The developers make V-Ray and its features primarily with coding for CPU based rendering. This makes coding easier, better to debug more stable and reliable. I also suspect they develop primarily for 3ds max and CPU after that its features have to be remade for other platforms like Maya and so on.

V-Ray RT is an engine developed by the GPU department of Chaos Group. They have to rebuild all the features that the CPU engine offers from scratch with languages that run on graphics cards. The RT Engine can be run on CPU or CUDA.

IPR is Iterative Preview Rendering and can be done in CPU and GPU Engines. You can make live updates at render-time and is used heavily in look development.
        how do you choose to use GPU & CPU rendering for IPR? or does it do that by default?

Comment

Default settings in 3ds max are progressive rendering with the CPU based V-Ray Advanced Engine.

To start and IPR, click the teapot/Play button in the VRay Frame Buffer

I have never really used RT engine.

Comment

Originally posted by stevejjd View Post
            Default settings in 3ds max are progressive rendering with the CPU based V-Ray Advanced Engine.

To start and IPR, click the teapot/Play button in the VRay Frame Buffer

I have never really used RT engine.
            Thanks for the replies, I know how to use IPR, but what i'm wanting to know is does it use the CPU & GPU as you mentioned in your earlier post?
            and if so is that default or is there a way to choose which configuration you prefer like you can with RT...?

Comment

IPR is just CPU based as it is part of VRay advanced.
              Hybrid is only available in RT with CUDA. It adds the CPU as an extra CUDA device.
              Gavin Jeoffreys
              Freelance 3D Generalist

Comment

Originally posted by Raven View Post
                IPR is just CPU based as it is part of VRay advanced.
                Hybrid is only available in RT with CUDA. It adds the CPU as an extra CUDA device.
                I had a feeling this was the case.

do you or does anyone know if IPR will be replacing RT, and if so will GPU be added to the IPR swag?

Comment

The plan should be to have CPU Adv render that can be used as production and interactively (IPR).
                  Also, having V-Ray GPU that can be used as production and interactively (IPR/Active Shade).

It is pretty much the case with 3.2 onwards (and the IPR in 3.5 onwards), but the UI can be simplified a bit to clarify that.

Best,
                  Blago.
                  V-Ray fan.
                  Looking busy around GPUs ...
                  RTX ON

Comment

Originally posted by coolhand78 View Post
                    ...I know how to use IPR, but what i'm wanting to know is does it use the CPU & GPU as you mentioned in your earlier post?
                    This is now my standard rendering format!

Simply designate Vray RT as your Production Renderer, use CUDA as your standard RT Render Engine Type, and make sure that c++/cpu is checked in the Vray RT Render Devices Select section.

Hit the IPR button in the Vray Frame Buffer and Bang! You are now using all of your CPUs and GPUs in IPR - not to mention LC/BF as your default GI which speeds things up as well. Turn on the Denoiser and you potentially have some pretty dang fast rendering times whether you are test rendering or final rendering. Vray 3.6 has really brought us to new places!

Of course, your renderer in this case is Vray RT, so all RT rules apply...

-Alan

Comment

Originally posted by Alan Iglesias View Post

Vray 3.6 has really brought us to new places!
                      Glad to hear

Best,
                      Blago.
                      V-Ray fan.
                      Looking busy around GPUs ...
                      RTX ON

Comment

Originally posted by Alan Iglesias View Post

This is now my standard rendering format!

Simply designate Vray RT as your Production Renderer, use CUDA as your standard RT Render Engine Type, and make sure that c++/cpu is checked in the Vray RT Render Devices Select section.

Hit the IPR button in the Vray Frame Buffer and Bang! You are now using all of your CPUs and GPUs in IPR - not to mention LC/BF as your default GI which speeds things up as well. Turn on the Denoiser and you potentially have some pretty dang fast rendering times whether you are test rendering or final rendering. Vray 3.6 has really brought us to new places!

Of course, your renderer in this case is Vray RT, so all RT rules apply...

-Alan
                        Do you have issues with displacement?

Comment

Originally posted by coolhand78 View Post

Do you have issues with displacement?
                          I do use displacement, but perhaps not as often as other folks. In other words, over the years I have learned to use it only after everything else (mapping) has failed.I did just use it in a scene last week and although it acted a bit differently than Vray Advanced, I was easily able to make it look the way I wanted.

YMMV.

-Alan

Comment

Working...
                          X