Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Multitexture map with VrayDisplacementMod

Dear Chaosgroup,

do you think it's possible to make the multitexture plugin work with the 2D (landscape) displacement mode of the displacement mod? Right now it only works with 3D displacement. Actually it "works" with 2D displacement but for some weird reason it takes on a different mapping than the one of the original material. Like it's not following the same randomization seed.
    A.

---------------------
    www.digitaltwins.be

2D displacement needs information in advance, I'm note sure whether MultiTexture map is calculated before or after the Displacement.
    Can you share what would be the benefits for you to switch to 2D Displacement over 3D one?
    Svetlozar Draganov | Senior Manager 3D Support | contact us
    Chaos & Enscape & Cylindo are now one!

Comment

I speak only for myself here, but I never use 3D displacement. 2D is more RAM-friendly, calculates faster, looks better most of the time and with a little tweaking, can be applied to any types of models (not just landscapes).
      Check my blog

Comment

Hi Betrand,
        so how do you apply 2D displacement to brick walls when you need 'Edge continuity'? When we use 2D displacement we get gaps on all the edges...

We currently have a project with brick walls and 3D displacement takes forever so if there is a solution with 2D displacement, that would be great .
        Stefanie

https://renderkitchen.com/

Comment

Hi Stefanie. I use a negative shift value to close these gaps. You just need to eyeball the amount. It works fine in most circumstances although if you put your camera very close to the edge, you may see some interpenetration.
          Check my blog

Comment

Originally posted by BBB3 View Post
            I speak only for myself here, but I never use 3D displacement. 2D is more RAM-friendly, calculates faster, looks better most of the time and with a little tweaking, can be applied to any types of models (not just landscapes).
            Well I remember your tutorial with the old mighty tiles plugin, AFAIK this is also procedural, thus only available with 3D displacement. Or do you bake a very large map and then use it as a simple 2D displacement?
            A.

---------------------
            www.digitaltwins.be

Comment

If memory serves, Mighty Tiles created a seamless bitmap on the fly with a user-defined resolution, so it was useable for 2D displacement. To be honest, I have rarely used 3D displacement because of the time it takes to compute and the larger amount of RAM it requires. And it generally looks a lot blobbier than 2D.
              Check my blog

Comment

Thanks Bertrand!

Yup, the 3D displacement takes a crazy amount of time and RAM.
                Stefanie

https://renderkitchen.com/

Comment

In all of my tests and production work, I was never able to get as precise displacement with 3d mapping. So using 2d gives better memory management and way better results in most situations.
                  Alain Blanchette
                  www.pixistudio.com

Comment

Working...
                  X