Vray Light - question about sphere

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Vray Light - question about sphere

Im trying to figure out how to use vray lights and have a question about using a vray light sphere with normalize intensity ticked

with normalize intensity ticked, the multiplier value is supposed to equal the power of the light source right? so a multiplier of 60 = 60W ? After some tests it looks like a multiplier of 6 is more accurate. Have I got all of this wrong?

Im trying this now and the test room im using looks WAY to bright and renders very slowly. It looks like when you tick the no decay box

My goal is just to find a quicker way of doing the lighting as I was under the impression that using IES lights was the problem for me. Vray lights definatly arnt quicker in my tests, especially when normalize intensity is ticked.

If anyone could do a couple of screenies of their light setups in a few different situations this would help a lot. for example: typical recessed light, typical 60W light bulb etc

Thanks,

Paul

[/u]

Heres a followup after a day of testing stuff on a simple scene

I was having problems with small rooms with lots of IES downlights getting either bleached out or not having enough light on the celings so you get a lot of grain. Ive noticed many other people come up with a similar solution to this where you dont have windows:

1. Add a vray light (sphere) in the middle of the room as a general area light. Dimensions for the one i used were 500mm x 500mm with multiplier of 4

2. Use a IES downlight with vray shadows. The one i used here which i thought wasnt too bad is called: ERCO_23024000_1xQT12-ax_75W_4041_1.ies

In terms of other settings, I've gone with high QMC settings, low GI settings with lightmap just to churn out the tests quickly. I think since QMC effects so many thing that it is important to leave these high.

The last thing I was mucking around with was highlight glossyness on the wall paint. This is just a vray material, with a noise bumpmap, reflect colour of 5,5,5 and 0.3 for highlight glossyness. Its very subtle but I think adding this to your wallpaint helps quite a lot

there, answered all my own questions. Looks really bad on my timesheet though!

[/img]

Comment

Normalise Intesity just makes the light intensity the same no matter what the size of the vray light is.

Example: Make a small room like yours but a sphere light in it, and make sure normalise intensity is unticked...render....now double the size of the vray light and the room gets much brighter. If you have normalise intensity ticked then no matter what size the vray light is it will always put out the same amount of light.

Hope that helps ya

Comment

cool thanks. That helps a lot!

i read somewhere about the value of the multipier for the light when normalise is ticked being equal to the power of the light eg 60W....this is what confused me because when i set the multiplier to 60, the bulb was much brighter than a 60W bulb. What you say clears this up though

ahhhhh so much to learn still

Comment

hehe im glad it helped.

Comment

I think it was that it should be 60W with a multiplier of 1 and Normalize intensity on.

--Jon

Comment

Working...
            X