Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

3dsMax 2018.2 - New spline tools and 3dsMax batch + A lot of fixes.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 3dsMax 2018.2 - New spline tools and 3dsMax batch + A lot of fixes.

http://area.autodesk.com/blogs/the-3...x-20182-update

Fix list.
    http://up.autodesk.com/2018/3DSMAX/3...tml#WhatsFixed
    Last edited by gandhics; 30-08-2017, 09:40 AM.

They haven`t fixed the one issue that stops me from upgrading, having to click twice on drop down menus and input boxes when you aren`t focused on that part of the interface already. It`s absolutely painful. I`m using windows 7, maybe it doesn`t happen on Win10 ? I haven`t heard anyone else mention it.

Comment

Originally posted by anthonyh View Post
      They haven`t fixed the one issue that stops me from upgrading, having to click twice on drop down menus and input boxes when you aren`t focused on that part of the interface already. It`s absolutely painful. I`m using windows 7, maybe it doesn`t happen on Win10 ? I haven`t heard anyone else mention it.
      Same bug here, also Windows 7.
      https://www.behance.net/Oliver_Kossatz

Comment

Thanks, at least I`m not going crazy !

Comment

I was an early adopter, but since fighting so long to get 2017 to work I haven't even thought about moving to 2018. It pains me to pay for something I can't use, but it is business and I can't afford to fight with my software anymore. Anybody using 2018 successfully? Any reason to move from 2017 to 2018?
          Bobby Parker
          www.bobby-parker.com
          e-mail: info@bobby-parker.com
          phone: 2188206812

My current hardware setup:
          • Ryzen 9 5900x CPU
          • 128gb Vengeance RGB Pro RAM
          • NVIDIA GeForce RTX 4090
          • ​Windows 11 Pro

Comment

2017 was unusable for me after awhile due to the viewport crashing bug. 2018 has been much better in that sense, but I still get crashes daily. I think it's just due to all the plugins I use these days (vray, corona, octane, maxwell, itoo, growfx, internal, etc.). I can't imagine trying to develop software with such a large community of plugins that can go wrong. Not sure how this will ever get better.

Comment

I crash many times a week, which has gotten much better. Pretty sad that I am happy with only a dozen crashes a week. I run many plugins, too, but just the main ones.
              Bobby Parker
              www.bobby-parker.com
              e-mail: info@bobby-parker.com
              phone: 2188206812

My current hardware setup:
              • Ryzen 9 5900x CPU
              • 128gb Vengeance RGB Pro RAM
              • NVIDIA GeForce RTX 4090
              • ​Windows 11 Pro

Comment

Stability-wise, 3dsMax 2018.2 has been added almost 450+ fix from 3dsMax 2017.2
                The new spline tools are really nice and new docking is addictive if you use it.

Comment

Ahhhh, it looks like they've bought up & incorporated Boomer Labs SplineTools https://vimeo.com/128505858
                  MDI Digital
                  moonjam

Comment

Can anyone tell me what this means in Autodesk's description of "Enhancements and Changes for Viewports";

"Complex scenes, such as a commercial airliner interior with hundreds of seats, can now be used and manipulated in the viewports."

What does that mean ?? (no examples, no links, just that text......)

http://help.autodesk.com/view/3DSMAX...0-91494FAB9DAE
                    Jez

------------------------------------
                    3DS Max 2023.3.4 | V-Ray 6.10.08 | Phoenix FD 4.40.00 | PD Player 64 1.0.7.32 | Forest Pack Pro 8.2.2 | RailClone 6.1.3
                    Windows 11 Pro 22H2 | NVidia Drivers 535.98 (Game Drivers)

Asus X299 Sage (Bios 4001), i9-7980xe, 128Gb, 1TB m.2 OS, 2 x NVidia RTX 3090 FE
                    ---- Updated 06/09/23 -------

Comment

Hello JezEmin,

We had a case internally that had loads of nested groups with thousands of objects that weren't instanced. I think the group nests went something like 7 deep. This scene would barely rotate in the viewport and had something like 32,000 objects in it. I was getting something like point two fps in that scene. After the fix it was way faster and responded like a normal huge scene instead of crawling and making it impossible to work.

All in all though, big scenes that are poorly optimized should be more responsive now.

Best,
                      Alfred

EDIT: Typo, 32k not 132k.
                      Last edited by Deflaminis; 31-08-2017, 04:48 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Deflaminis View Post
                        Hello JezEmin,

We had a case internally that had loads of nested groups with thousands of objects that weren't instanced. I think the group nests went something like 7 deep. This scene would barely rotate in the viewport and had something like 132,000 objects in it. I was getting something like point two fps in that scene. After the fix it was way faster and responded like a normal huge scene instead of crawling and making it impossible to work.

Best,
                        Alfred
                        Thanks Alfred for the explanation - Autodesk could have worded that a lot better to make some sense to those not aware of that particular example.....

But I will say, whilst I'm not ready to use 2018 (nor prepared to risk doing so at this stage) - I had a tiny play this evening and the first thing I did notice was how amazingly fast the viewport seemed to be.

Admittedly, not a big scene by any imagination, but it was immediately noticeable.

Thanks once again for the explanation.
                        Last edited by JezUK; 31-08-2017, 10:53 PM.
                        Jez

------------------------------------
                        3DS Max 2023.3.4 | V-Ray 6.10.08 | Phoenix FD 4.40.00 | PD Player 64 1.0.7.32 | Forest Pack Pro 8.2.2 | RailClone 6.1.3
                        Windows 11 Pro 22H2 | NVidia Drivers 535.98 (Game Drivers)

Asus X299 Sage (Bios 4001), i9-7980xe, 128Gb, 1TB m.2 OS, 2 x NVidia RTX 3090 FE
                        ---- Updated 06/09/23 -------

Comment

2018 really addresses a lot of issues that needed to be addressed. There is still work to do as with any app but I'm pretty happy with what I'm seeing so far in 2018.

Best,
                          Alfred

Comment

Originally posted by Deflaminis View Post
                            Hello JezEmin,

We had a case internally that had loads of nested groups with thousands of objects that weren't instanced. I think the group nests went something like 7 deep. This scene would barely rotate in the viewport and had something like 132,000 objects in it. I was getting something like point two fps in that scene. After the fix it was way faster and responded like a normal huge scene instead of crawling and making it impossible to work.
                            132,000 objects!?
                            That's the new record for me. I have dealt with like 20,000-30,000 objects. But. 132,000?
                            It is good to hear that 3dsMax can handle that.

Comment

Whoops, typo. I'm sorry it was 32k. My fault, trying to do too many things at once. I don't recommend anything over 8k personally. Although most of the objects did have an edit mesh or edit poly which is essentially copying the object again.
                              Last edited by Deflaminis; 31-08-2017, 04:51 PM. Reason: Added info about edit mesh / edit poly.

Comment

Working...
                              X