Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Achieving 'artistic' architectural renders, as opposed to photorealistic

I hope this is in the right place.

I'm wondering if anyone could help explain to me how these images were produced. I presume it's a heavily photoshopped render, or possibly achieved using something like fotosketcher to give a 'painted' look.

Any help is much appreciated.

Your examples are not anything over exceptional. The more I play with my DSL the more I understand what it takes to make a photoreal image. I am finding LUT's help a whole lot for the finals. The less you use artificial lights the better. Notice, your examples are using daylight to illuminate the scene. Destaerating usually helps, too.
    Bobby Parker
    www.bobby-parker.com
    e-mail: info@bobby-parker.com
    phone: 2188206812

My current hardware setup:
    • Ryzen 9 5900x CPU
    • 128gb Vengeance RGB Pro RAM
    • NVIDIA GeForce RTX 4090
    • ​Windows 11 Pro

Comment

Originally posted by glorybound View Post
      Your examples are not anything over exceptional. The more I play with my DSL the more I understand what it takes to make a photoreal image. I am finding LUT's help a whole lot for the finals. The less you use artificial lights the better. Notice, your examples are using daylight to illuminate the scene. Destaerating usually helps, too.
      Thanks, glorybound. I wonder if you'd be able to explain the purpose of LUT's? I should maybe add that I am by no means an advanced Vray user. I've done a quick google search, look up tables are used to colour-grade an image, is that right?

As a beginner I find it quite difficult to tell when looking at an image like this exactly what is rendered and what is composited in photoshop. Take the last image for example, how many of the objects in the foreground will be in the 3D model?

Comment

these just look like renders from 2007? nothing artistic about them.

Comment

Originally posted by panga9292 View Post

Thanks, glorybound. I wonder if you'd be able to explain the purpose of LUT's? I should maybe add that I am by no means an advanced Vray user. I've done a quick google search, look up tables are used to colour-grade an image, is that right?

As a beginner I find it quite difficult to tell when looking at an image like this exactly what is rendered and what is composited in photoshop. Take the last image for example, how many of the objects in the foreground will be in the 3D model?
          LUT is look up table. Basically, it mimics a real word lens. It can also mimic famous movies and TV shows.
          Bobby Parker
          www.bobby-parker.com

• Ryzen 9 5900x CPU
          • ​Windows 11 Pro

Comment

Originally posted by squintnic View Post
            these just look like renders from 2007? nothing artistic about them.
            Each to their own. What I was referring to was what looks like some sort of light watercolour effect, I wasn't sure if that was achieved in the render or through post. Perhaps you'd be able to answer my last question:

Originally posted by panga9292
            Take the last image for example, how many of the objects in the foreground will be in the 3D model?

Comment

It's all 3d, just with a 'watercolor effect' plugin ran over the top of the images once rendered. nothing special or complicated.

Comment

I wouldn't say they're not exceptional nor not artistic - I love the look and particularly that 3rd one, the detail and chaos in that - looks more like a actual photo to me (not a 3d render) that has been photoshop filtered.
                Last edited by JezUK; 05-09-2017, 09:14 AM.
                Jez

------------------------------------
                3DS Max 2023.3.4 | V-Ray 6.10.08 | Phoenix FD 4.40.00 | PD Player 64 1.0.7.32 | Forest Pack Pro 8.2.2 | RailClone 6.1.3
                Windows 11 Pro 22H2 | NVidia Drivers 535.98 (Game Drivers)

Asus X299 Sage (Bios 4001), i9-7980xe, 128Gb, 1TB m.2 OS, 2 x NVidia RTX 3090 FE
                ---- Updated 06/09/23 -------

Comment

Look up Ernest Burden III - Acme Digital. His work has this look and feel. He had some tutorials out there at one point, but I don't easily see them on his site. http://www.acmedigital.com/
                  Work:
                  Dell Precision T7910, Dual Xeon E5-2640 v4 @ 2.40GHz | 32GB RAM | NVIDIA Quadro P2000 5gb | NVIDIA GeForce GTX 980Ti 6GB | NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080Ti 11GB
                  V-Ray Benchmark: CPU 00:52 | GPU 00:32

Home:
                  AMD Threadripper 1950X 3.4GHz 16-Core | 32GB RAM | (2) NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080Ti 11GB
                  V-Ray Benchmark: CPU 00:47 | GPU 00:34
                  https://pcpartpicker.com/list/kXKcxG

Comment

Originally posted by particlerealities View Post
                    Look up Ernest Burden III - Acme Digital. His work has this look and feel. He had some tutorials out there at one point, but I don't easily see them on his site. http://www.acmedigital.com/
                    thanks for sharing this - did some googling, http://www.acmedigital.com/tutorial/tutorialLS-WC.html
                    Brendan Coyle | www.brendancoyle.com

Comment

Originally posted by particlerealities View Post
                      He hand paints over printed linework renders using watercolors.

Comment

Originally posted by Neilg View Post

He hand paints over printed linework renders using watercolors.
                        Based on the linked tutorial, I'd agree. I don't think that's the case with his current stuff. That tutorial was created probably 2 decades ago. Actually, I'm not saying he doesn't still incorporate hand-painted stuff into his images. But that's not the secret ingredient to his final images, at least as far as I can tell.
                        Work:
                        Dell Precision T7910, Dual Xeon E5-2640 v4 @ 2.40GHz | 32GB RAM | NVIDIA Quadro P2000 5gb | NVIDIA GeForce GTX 980Ti 6GB | NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080Ti 11GB
                        V-Ray Benchmark: CPU 00:52 | GPU 00:32

Home:
                        AMD Threadripper 1950X 3.4GHz 16-Core | 32GB RAM | (2) NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080Ti 11GB
                        V-Ray Benchmark: CPU 00:47 | GPU 00:34
                        https://pcpartpicker.com/list/kXKcxG

Comment

Originally posted by panga9292 View Post
                          I hope this is in the right place.

I'm wondering if anyone could help explain to me how these images were produced. I presume it's a heavily photoshopped render, or possibly achieved using something like fotosketcher to give a 'painted' look.

Any help is much appreciated.
                          Now that I look closer, they do have nice feel.
                          Bobby Parker
                          www.bobby-parker.com

• Ryzen 9 5900x CPU
                          • ​Windows 11 Pro

Comment

http://fotosketcher.com/

Comment

Originally posted by VelvetElvis View Post
                              I absolutely hate those pages with all the download buttons for crap-ware. Great little program, but awful download page.
                              Bobby Parker
                              www.bobby-parker.com

• Ryzen 9 5900x CPU
                              • ​Windows 11 Pro

Comment

Working...
                              X