Distributed Rendering Problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Distributed Rendering Problem

I've been sitting here reading through the existing DR threads, but can't seem to solve my problem. Some say to use a vrayspawner.ini file, some dont....I'm confused and could use some advice.

Ok, real simple network to test this with. Two PC's. The main PC is running winXP Pro, the PC that I'm trying to get working is Win2000 Prof.

I installed max7 on the PC (win2k PC). Installed all the plugins, and of course that includes VRay.

I start Vrayspawner60.exe on the Win2k PC. It loads vraydummy60.max and sits at the bottom of the screen as the instructions say (it does not dissapear or anything)

I go to my main PC load up a simple teapot test scene, enable distributed rendering in system. I click settings and added the name of the PC that's running the spawner60.exe. I hit render.

I get 4 buckets (0.0.0.0) which is normal for this PC (dual xeon). And I read the 0.0.0.0 is for this server PC anyway. So, my other PC isn't showing up.

What do I look for now?
    - Jeff Patton -
    http://jeffpatton.net/

I forgot to mention that this setup works with Backburner if that's helpful. I've made a couple of test renders and all seems well between the two PC's with Backburner.

And I'm using Ver. 1.46.10

If I need that vrayspawner.ini....where does it go? 3dsmax root folder?
    - Jeff Patton -

Comment

Well, it works if I create a new scene from scratch. However if I open up an existing scene and try DR it doesn't work. Is that normal?
      - Jeff Patton -

Comment

Try to put the IP of the win2k pc in the DR window, not its name, and try again DR. And put some simple GI in the scene, so it takes about let's say 30s to render. The slaves take a little time to start and if the scene is very very simple, they may not have the time to start at all.
        Best Regards,
        Tisho

Comment

Try to put the IP of the win2k pc in the DR window, not its name, and try again DR. And put some simple GI in the scene, so it takes about let's say 30s to render. The slaves take a little time to start and if the scene is very very simple, they may not have the time to start at all.
          Tisho, is it better to use the IP rather than the name for DR? Ive been using the names and so far have had some success with a few minor issues here and there...

-dave
          Cheers,
          -dave
          ■ ASUS ROG STRIX X399-E - 1950X ■ ASUS ROG STRIX X399-E - 2990WX ■ ASUS PRIME X399 - 2990WX ■ GIGABYTE AORUS X399 - 2990WX ■ ASUS Maximus Extreme XI with i9-9900k ■

Comment

Dave, it shouldn;t matter whether it is the IP or the name of the PC - just as it shouldn't matter in Windows. However, we all know that sometimes, windows gives itself a brake and you it works with one and doesn't with the other - same is here. So, it shouldn't matter, but if you ahve problems - try both ways just to be sure.
            Best Regards,
            Tisho

Comment

Not sure if this helps but you may want to try resaving the dummy file - I've seen it where it says 'obsolete data...' if you have a different version of Max.

Also, make sure the scene you load in is a large one so you can give it time to send information over the network.
              LunarStudio Architectural Renderings
              HDRSource HDR & sIBL Libraries
              Lunarlog - LunarStudio and HDRSource Blog

Comment

Thanks for the tips. It appears the problem was solved when I mapped my main PC's HDD to my network. Then configured the other PC's path's to the mapped HDD on the LAN.

Works like a charm now.

It doesnt seem to matter whether I use the IP address or the PC name....it just works....SWEEEEEET!

Thx a ton guys.
                - Jeff Patton -

Comment

And just as I speak up and say Hooray, I run into an "issue".

Any ideas on why I would slowly lose buckets? The render started out with 8 buckets:
                  (4) from dual Xeon 3.2 hyperthreaded
                  (2) from dual AMD MP1600
                  (2) from hyperthreaded 2.8 single CPU PC.

As the render reached 50%, I lost 2 buckets from my main PC (IP 0.0.0.0), so I'm down to 6 buckets at this point. Then I lose one more from the dual MP1600 PC. Then I lost one from the single hyperthreaded intel PC....So now it's down to 4 buckets, 2 from dual xeon, 1 from dual MP1600, and one from hyperthreaded intel.....I effectively have half the power from each computer....

Any ideas?
                  - Jeff Patton -

Comment

Working...
                  X