Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Any way to apply a gradient map to a vray displaced piece of geometry??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Any way to apply a gradient map to a vray displaced piece of geometry??

Because vray displacement is carried out at render time it seems impossible to apply a gradient ramp to it as a mix map mixer channel to mix between 2 different textures at different heights. Is this not possible ? Applying a UVW map doesn't seem to work either.
    Regards

Steve

My Portfolio

You should be able to do that.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	3dsmax_2017-10-06_12-33-59.png
Views:	372
Size:	303.9 KB
ID:	970161

Tashko Zashev | chaos.com
    Chaos Support Representative | contact us

Comment

Somwhat related. Ive been playing with vraydisplacement within a falloff map to minimise the calculation at distance and noticed that it only worked with 3d displacement. 2d would ignore the falloff. Is this correct or a bug?

Comment

Originally posted by dean_dmoo View Post
        Somwhat related. Ive been playing with vraydisplacement within a falloff map to minimise the calculation at distance and noticed that it only worked with 3d displacement. 2d would ignore the falloff. Is this correct or a bug?
        2D displacement need mapping coordinates to work. For maps designed to work in object or world space (Falloff for an example) you have to use the 3D mode.
        Tashko Zashev | chaos.com
        Chaos Support Representative | contact us

Comment

Steve, what sort of map are you using to displace?
          You could control your blend with the same map in an output map.
          If you colour remap, match your desired gradient represented below the graph.
          Attached Files
          Gavin Jeoffreys
          Freelance 3D Generalist

Comment

The only way I've managed to do this so far is to just treat the plane as a 2d map so I have to use a radial gradient or circular texture to act as an alpha. If I try to use a UVW map for the channel I think it just assumes it is a plane and cannot calculate the UVW mapping at render time. I'll check out the above posts as I've not had a chance to try them yet. Cheers
            Regards

Steve

My Portfolio

Comment

Working...
            X