No announcement yet.

AMD Threadripper 1950X RAM problem?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm not sure about RAM allocation, but you'd only get half the RAM speed if you are using for example 2x16gb vs 4x8gb, as Threadripper requires RAM running in quad channel to work properly.

Comment

I've got two threadrippers - the first one is running ok. A couple of quirks in consistency with the maximum clock speed but it's still running faster than advertised. And I think the 'problem' could be related to the power management settings that I had selected. If I set it to performance mode, all cores are running at 4GHz even when idle.
      Second one was Blue screening, but I've done a fresh install and in the last 24hrs it's been working but it's hardly conclusive. The motherboard seems particularly fussy about having the 'right' drivers. A friend experienced the same but his system is now working with the appropriate drivers e.g. if you don't install the wifi driver it will blue screen.

I just tried a displacement map which utilized 55GB of memory without any issues.

Win10 x64, 3DS Max 2017 19.0, Vray 3.60.03
      Threadripper 1950x, 64GB RAM, Aurous Gaming 7 x399,

Comment

Originally posted by Richard7666 View Post
        I'm not sure about RAM allocation, but you'd only get half the RAM speed if you are using for example 2x16gb vs 4x8gb, as Threadripper requires RAM running in quad channel to work properly.
        That's correct. 8 stick of RAM also run in quad channel mode BTW. So for highest possible speed it's best to install either 4 or 8 sticks of RAM to take advantage of quad channel mode.

Also I ran some quick (emphasis on "quick") tests with lower and higher RAM speeds as someone asked. Between 2400 Mhz and 3400 Mhz I saw only 4% difference in speed. So anything in between will be between these 4%.
        Last edited by Alex_M; 10-10-2017, 06:01 PM.
        Aleksandar Mitov
        www.renarvisuals.com
        office@renarvisuals.com

3ds Max 2023.2.2 + Vray 6 Update 2.1
        AMD Ryzen 9 9950X 16-core
        64GB DDR5
        GeForce RTX 3090 24GB + GPU Driver 551.86

Comment

Thank you for the test Alex!
          Best Regards

Tomek

Portfolio: http://dtown.pl/

Comment

Just an fyi: if the uefi settings were misconfigured and if the ram wasn't placed in the right spot, this MIGHT be a uma vs numa issue (https://www.pcper.com/reviews/Proces...ocality-concer)

This is getting into some nitty gritty stuff, and for most people stock settings should just be used and make sure your populating the dimm slots correctly (RTFM).

Also, just a side note: but this whole thread was started because someone heard second or third hand that there were memory issues with threadripper, followed up by no facts or evidence even though a great deal of evidence was presented to the contrary (ie that there are in fact no issues) . This is how bad rumors and false misconceptions start folks. To this day people STILL get it in their head that AMD and Intel processors render different resulting in different images (again, false rumor).

Let's all remember to question, verify, and internet safely.

Comment

Well....i just setup my new workstation with the MSI x399 Carbon and Threadripper 1950X and have also heavy problems rendering a massive landscape scene with lots of Forest Pack Objects, RailClone Objects and lots of standard geometry. This scene was renderer fine with my old workstation, 5820K with 64 GB Ram on win 7. New WS has also 64 GB RAM ( G.Skill Trident Z 3200, CL 14 ) on win 10, but i get different error message, i.e. unhandled exception errors, max crashing with running out of memory error, compiling objects running forever and so on. I upgraded today to 128 GB but still can`t render this scene anymore, system gets stuck by compiling objects and the used Ram starts to fill up from 60 GB to 128 GB without any progress from the compiling status. All this is very frustrating, so any tips and advices on this would be great.

Best

Robin
              3DUO | Robin Arnecke
              Visualisation + Animation

www.3Duo.de

Comment

Well, I have just disabled displacement on the global switches tab in vray for testing purposes and now my scene renders fine. I remember there were some problems a while ago on vray version 3.4 or 3.5 with having extrem longer compiling geometry tasks when using displacment, but these were fixed with one of the following updates. I`m running on vray 3.60.03 so there seem to be a new problem occuring, but only on this new workstation with Threadripper 1950X. Maybe someone from chaosgroup could take a deeper look on this.
                Thanks

Robin
                3DUO | Robin Arnecke

www.3Duo.de

Comment

I would say someone does not know what they are doing with either the hardware or bios setup on threadripper... I have one and I'm watching it allocate 46gb of ram right now on a 64gb machine with no issue.

Firstly hardware wise: You need to have ram in sets of 4 sticks - and you need to put the sticks in the correct slots on the motherboard. (2 for each CPU in the correct number slots) You can have 4 sticks of ram or you can have 8 sticks of ram. If you have 1,2,3,5,6,7 sticks of ram it can't address them at full speed.

Also you have to have the CPU set to run normally - ie: not in game mode... It is possibly to disable half the ram and half the cores to speed up games.

Oh and the other thing.... UPDATE YOUR BIOS! I also have an x399 MSI carbon and my lovely new machine was crashing hourly on the first bios, half daily on the 2nd bios, daily on the 3rd bios and now finally on the new bios is has not crashed in days.

I would assume you are running the win10 and latest vray, latest forest pack and a new enough 3dsmax?
                  Last edited by werticus; 12-10-2017, 05:14 PM.
                  WerT
                  www.dvstudios.com.au

Comment

Well Werticus, you shouldn`t blaim someone not to know what he is doing, only because your system is running fine. I didn`t say that Threadripper isn`t allocating the full availabel RAM on my mashine, but seems to has problems in conjunction with Displacement, because vray was compiling geometry
                    till the system was occupying the full 64 / 128 GB and got stucked at this point.
                    At first I had the system installed with 4 sticks in the correct slots as described in the manual, then i upgraded to 8 identical RAM sticks to the full 128 GB.
                    The Cpu is running in normal / default mode with the newest Bios installed from the MSI website. Forest Pack Pro and RailClone Pro are in their newest version installed, also Vray as mentioned in my post.
                    So where is your point now ? Only component which isn`t the newest version installed is 3dsmax, as i`m running on 3dsmax 2016 but with the newest SP installed.
                    When i have a identical Max-Scene which is rendering fine on a 5820K workstation with 64 GB of Ram and isn`t rendering on a new 1950X workstation with also 64 GB of RAM with the mentioned error messages / behaviours ( both with identical Software installed ),
                    there might be an issue in the hardware / software interaction of either the MSI board in conjunction with Threadripper 1950X or how vray handles Displacement with these new prozessors / systems.
                    Hopefully someone from Chaosgroup can bring some light into the darkness, right now i had to disable Displacement globally to be able to render this scene on the new WS.

Best

Robin
                    3DUO | Robin Arnecke

www.3Duo.de

Comment

And if you take out the new ram and run the previous 64 with your matched pairs? Did it not work? From how you describe it, it sounds like the displacement works on either system at 64gb and below, and not on 128gb. If you have not confirmed this, then I would suggest doing so.

Have you memtested all 128gb? Does 128gb work otherwise (load up a monster After Effects comp or fill it up with something else)? Have you explored the issue any deeper or eliminated ANY variables? Did you build the system yourself or buy pre-configured and then add in the ram yourself? Are you sure the new sticks match the existing ones, timings and all?

I am sorry if you are having an issue, but honestly, it doesn't sound like this has been properly investigated or run to ground quite yet, and yet people are posting in this "threadripper doesn't work with vray!" thread because a single software function doesn't work (may not even be related!) or they heard a rumor from their best friend or they made a mistake setting up their own system.

We are willing to help, but please do not just post "this doesn't work!" and expect results. Post screenshots, info, bios screenshots even, details etc. Until then, its just frustrating for everyone.

Comment

Roboxx, just a guess but did you format your Windows disk drive and did you do a clean install of Windows 10 and then all AMD drivers when you got your Threadripper? AMD strongly advises that anyone who prior to getting Threadripper (or any other Ryzen family processor) was using their Windows disk drives with Intel systems, to do this in order to get the best possible performance out of their CPU. Also, don't forget that all Ryzen processors work pretty much only with Windows 10. Windows 7 will give you lots of stability issues with these new CPUs. They were really not meant to be used with older OS like Windows 7. I initially tried to install my 1950X on Windows 7 and I was getting constant BSOD's and missing driver problems to the point that I couldn't even get Windows 7 installed. However, everything works like charm now with W10. No issues with RAM, displacements or anything else so far.
                        Last edited by Alex_M; 19-10-2017, 03:29 AM.
                        Aleksandar Mitov
                        www.renarvisuals.com
                        office@renarvisuals.com

3ds Max 2023.2.2 + Vray 6 Update 2.1
                        AMD Ryzen 9 9950X 16-core
                        64GB DDR5
                        GeForce RTX 3090 24GB + GPU Driver 551.86

Comment

I would like to buy a 1950x CPU and, I have read on several forums, system lock, restart and strange RAM management. I was wondering if, with the latest BIOS released by the manufacturers of motherboards, these problems have been solved, especially with regard to vray and, the stability of this system / CPU has improved.Also, someone can confirm that, on systems based on TR4 , the performance in the viewport of3dsmax, are worse than Intel (fps 30/50% less)?
                          thank You.

Comment

No issues with 1950x here, not since the 2nd bios update anyway. There was some power loss hard reset issues before the bios updates however.
                            WerT
                            www.dvstudios.com.au

Comment

I have 1950X and I had some unexpected results with different RAM described in this thread. But no official reply there.
                              I wasn't able to make the same tests in actual work, so maybe this is related only to VrayBench test, but I can't be sure.

Comment

Hello,

I'm also a "happy" threadripper 1950x owner since a few days. "happy", because I'm experiencing a lot of strange problems. Crashing, windows 10 reboot, windows 10 update failure, vray rendering, but then suddenly no more (standalone window closing suddenly, and then I cannot launch render again). I suppose that it's heavily related to some installations problems and/or memory issues. I might have missed some "things" that you HAVE to do (as to install the AMD chipset drivers).
                                I'm now on my second windows install, and learning. Sometimes I think that things go better, sometimes it gets worse again. Overall, it's certainly a great hardware, but it's certainly more picky than the older stuff to get it working correctly.
                                Right now, I'm running Prime95 to test the stability. Let's hope I'll get soon a working/stable machine
                                www.mirage-cg.com

Comment

Working...
                                X