Curves as tubes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Curves as tubes

Does Vray have a comparable feature that allows it to render curve or hairs as tubes? I've done this using mantra in houdini and see arnold has a nice implementation. Can't find anything in Vray but I'd love to see it. https://area.autodesk.com/learning/r...&ct=clnk&gl=us

if by curves you mean splines then you can apply a renderable spline modifier to all splince as instance and it has capability to create geometry at render time for the splines its assigned to. There is no dynamic vray specific curve tesselator like in maya though.
    Dmitry Vinnik
    Silhouette Images Inc.
    ShowReel:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qxSJlvSwAhA
    https://www.linkedin.com/in/dmitry-v...-identity-name

Comment

No, I'm after a method in which the geometry isn't built--the curve is rendered with a normal trick that renders as a tube.

Comment

If you export splines from max as alembic, and then import them with vrayproxy, it will recognize them as hair
        Last edited by kagemaru; 14-11-2017, 03:27 AM.
        KCTOO - Directors

Comment

I've found that an ornatrix guide from shape modifier does the trick. I wish something like this was a native Vray modifier.

Comment

Yes, it's been on the "to do" list for a while; we'll get to it. Until then, as you have found, you can use Ornatrix to turn splines into curves that are renderable by V-Ray.

Best regards,
            Vlado
            I only act like I know everything, Rogers.

Comment

Originally posted by vlado View Post
              Yes, it's been on the "to do" list for a while; we'll get to it. Until then, as you have found, you can use Ornatrix to turn splines into curves that are renderable by V-Ray.

Best regards,
              Vlado
              That's good to hear. The thing that Arnold does that Mantra and Ornatrix doesn't--and I hope Vray will-- is that it caps the endpoints nicely.
              Attached Files

Comment

I think V-Ray does this for the tip end point, but maybe not for the root one.

Best regards,
                Vlado
                I only act like I know everything, Rogers.

Comment

Originally posted by vlado View Post
                  I think V-Ray does this for the tip end point, but maybe not for the root one.

Best regards,
                  Vlado
                  Confirmed. It'd be a nice option to cap the root.

Comment

Is this feature not yet implemented in V-Ray 5.2 for 3ds Max? (Five years have passed since 2017)

V-Ray 5.2 C4D was implemented first. Moreover, the width can be controlled with spline curves.

https://docs.chaos.com/display/VC4D/...nderableSpline
                    Last edited by flat; 07-04-2022, 06:46 AM.

OakCorp Japan - Yuji Yamauchi
                    oakcorp.net
                    v-ray.jp

Comment

I guess it depends on what your source is. But for a few splines in Max you can just enable rendering in the Rendering tab of the spline itself. There is an option to cap. (This is the same as the Renderable spline, but doesn't require another modifier.)

If you want the rounded ends then (watch your initial resolution) apply a TurboSmooth to the resulting spline with the cap. Set the cap mode (In the Rendering rollout of the spline) to Quad for a smoother end.

For many splines at high res it would be nice to be able to tessellate them at render time.

Comment

We are talking about how to make Spline a V-Ray Curve [Hair/Fur] primitive.

OakCorp Japan - Yuji Yamauchi
                        oakcorp.net
                        v-ray.jp

Comment

Working...
                        X