No announcement yet.

Banding - how to get rid of...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I see the banding on my SGI LCD monitor (no kidding)

Comment

thats a typical lcd/tft panel problem
      so far there are only a few panels on the market that are able to approximately display the same color range as (good) crt monitors

thats THE major reason why color critical work (prepress f.e.) is still done on crts

most problems occurr when you have gradients of similar color and luminance (f.e. the default title bars of windows going from medium dark blue to medium light blue)

you can simulate the gradient in photoshop to see if vray is the reason
      just sample the two extreme colors and create a gradient over a similar width my guess is you will have similar banding

cya,

Mike
      ps: the only method i know how to get rid of banding is reducing the number of colors and dithering the image to simulate the lost values - probably not what you want
      other than that - try to show the project on other monitors

Comment

I changed my monitor to 16bit and i can see banding that would seem to line up to youre arrows.

Are you 100% sure that its not a 16/32bit colour issue?
        mdi-digital.com

Comment

Lots of LCDs are only capable of 18 bit color (262144 colors) and would show banding in images like this. Even if the display properties are set to 24bit.
          Torgeir Holm | www.netronfilm.com

Comment

This is exactly the same problem i had when switching from the 1.09x builds to the betas. I kept on sendig vlado renders of this one scene where the banding was really bad in a softly lit gray area, thinking it might be an authorization issue. He politely repplied that there was no banding.
            That's when I discovered that the old crt im using here, can't actually display the full colour range. Time to get a new monitor
            Signing out,
            Christian

Comment

17" LCD here - brand new - no banding no matter how hard I try to find one.
              Best Regards,
              Tisho

Comment

THX everybody... conclusion must be: what you see is not always what you get - certainly not on bad monitors.

Thought maybe you'd wanna see the rest of the image, banding or not (still WIP - no need for comments)

Jonas Andersen
                Cadpeople | Visual Communication
                www.cadpeople.com

Comment

just to jump in with a little bit of info here.

As stated the colour gamut of LCD monitors is limited. At the moment the range stretches between those that cant even handle a 24bit gamut, those that can handle sRGB but little beyond it, and those like the Lacie 321 that can handle the wider gamut of AdobeRGB space. That said, they still can't hanlde the wider spaces like ProPhotoRGB...so essentially LCD is only for non colour orientated work unless you live in sRGB or AdobeRGB.

You could possibly assign (not convert) sRGB as your working space for that document and monitor profile in photoshop, which may seem to remove it, however it will only be moving your image's range into one the monitor can handle. As prevailent as sRGB as a space its a fairly limited gamut space and not one I would recommend for colour work especially if a conversion to CYMK is required later. Its one really good use is for web images though.
                  Digital Progression

Comment

I don't even see an image... (unless you rendered a red cross in a black square)
                    Aversis 3D | Download High Quality HDRI Maps | Vray Tutorials | Free Texture Maps

Comment

I dont see any banding on my LCD...I think the colour range is acceptable, but after watching an episode of Battlestar Galactica last night :P side by side on an LCD and CRT, there is a definate difference when it comes to the black areas. For the bright scenes is there a noticable difference between an average CRT and LCD?

Comment

i see the banding here at home....

damned cheap LCD (and i have it set to 32 bit..)

is anyone using a samsung 172X and getting banding? thats what i was thinking of getting (cant afford anything better)

Comment

Working...
                        X