Orthographic views

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Orthographic views

A client/ architect is requesting that I provide orthographic (straight on elevation views with no perspective). I am doing some perspective renderings of the project. In the architects mind it should be just as easy to render ortho views and thus provide what are often referred to as ?colored elevations? with shadows.

I did an internet search and found somewhat dated info on doing his with vray. Two general ideas.

1) Make a camera with a super long focal length and render with that. The long focal length removes almost all the perspective distortion.

2) Render the orthographic viewports, front, right, etc but adjust the color mapping in some way to compensate for the exposure based lighting.

I?m using physical,camera with vray sun and hdri in dome light. Also using displacement.

Does anyone have any experience with generating these type of orthographic views? Preferred work flow for this?

Thanks in advance for any info or advice on this.

mark f.
    openrangeimaging.com

Max 2023.3.4 | Vray 6 update 2 | Win 10

Core i7 6950 | GeForce RTX 2060 | 64 G RAM

use a standard camera with ortographic option enabled
    Surrealismo
    https://www.facebook.com/surrrealismo

Comment

Thank you for your reply. I read about using a standard camera in ortho mode. That, in and of itself, unfortunately results in an insanely overexposed image. Do you have a standard process/workflow for compensating for the lighting and etc that is all based on the physical camera exposure settings, vray sun, hdri/domelight sky?
      mark f.
      openrangeimaging.com

Comment

you need to activate Physical camera exposure control and under exposure, use (Ignore per-camera Exposure) and put the correct EV. This way you can use this camera the same way as if you were using a physical camera.
        Surrealismo
        https://www.facebook.com/surrrealismo

Comment

OK and thanks I will try that.

In the mean time I made a copy of the scene physical camera and then set it?s focal length to 4000mm, oriented it straight at the structure, dolly way back and render. Came out pretty good.
          mark f.
          openrangeimaging.com

Comment

Working...
          X