Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Render hair as flat ribbons?

Hi,

I'm trying to create some X-mas decorations in Max. Is it possible to render 3dsmax hair and fur as flat ribbons in V-ray? I asked about it in the Autodesk forum, and one user told me Arnold had a specific setting for this. I wonder if there is something similar in V-ray, but I haven't seen anything (I don't have a lot of experience with hair/fur).

https://forums.autodesk.com/t5/3ds-m...s/td-p/7633343

We can render the hair as ribbons depending on the material (you should use the VRayHairMtl material to get ribbons), but they will always face the camera, so I'm not sure how useful this will be (the same will happen in Arnold too).

You will also need to use the "mr primitive" option, as the user on the Autodesk forum noted.

Best regards,
    Vlado
    I only act like I know everything, Rogers.

Comment

Thanks for the reply Vlado. I'll test the V-rayHairMtl and see if that gives a good result! However I don't think the HairMtl can be adjusted to look like shiny metal (no IOR or Fresnel setting)

Comment

What kind of metal do you want it to look like? Gold? I can try to create something.

Best regards,
        Vlado
        I only act like I know everything, Rogers.

Comment

Didn't VRayFur render as flat strips before, instead of the cylinders it renders now? Can we get that old behaviour back, or select it in the fur object? Stuff like grass blades were very easy to make with this, but now I always get thick cylinders...

Comment

Working...
          X