No announcement yet.

IR/LM Long Render Times

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The scene rendered fine with IR/QMC. If I had known then perhaps this shouldve been considered a 'bug' but I wasn't sure initially if I was doing something wrong. The scene is here- please check the response several sections above.
    LunarStudio Architectural Renderings
    HDRSource HDR & sIBL Libraries
    Lunarlog - LunarStudio and HDRSource Blog

Comment

Oh woops! Didn't see it up there. Got to be something going on with that because usually lightmaps are so much faster than qmc.

Glad you got it to work though.
      Tim Nelson
      timnelson3d.com

Comment

Well- I don't consider it working when it comes to lightmaps... I was really looking forward to using them too.

Comment

Just wondering if it's possible for you to save down to Max 6. If it's too much trouble don't worry about it. I was going to give it a shot.
          Tim Nelson
          timnelson3d.com

Comment

Ok, since I didn't have anything BETTER to do today, I downloaded the trial for Max 7 to test the file out.

There's definitely something weird going on with your setup, because the lightmap on your file only took about 2 seconds over here.

If you haven't done so already, try this: Go to the Customize pulldown, then go to Preferences. Under the Rendering tab, you will see in the bottom right corner an area for Bitmap Pager. Uncheck the 'on' box. Close Max, restart & try it again.

When this is on, Vray was only using a few percent of the cpu to calculate the lightmap. I thought that was a bug that got fixed, but apparently not.

Anyways I really hope that solves it. Otherwise I don't know.
            Tim Nelson
            timnelson3d.com

Comment

downloading the files now to give it a try. ive been following this thread and couldnt figure out what the problem is and the fact that tim said it rendered quick for him made it confusing.

---------------------------------------------------
              MSN addresses are not for newbies or warez users to contact the pros and bug them with
              stupid questions the forum can answer.

Comment

Thanks Tim for the sanity check and going through all that trouble to help me out.

You were spot on about the bitmap pager settings causing the insane render times. I have it on by default and as soon as I turned it off it cruised through the render. I would have never thought that this would have caused it - I didn't realize this was an issue previously.

Switching it back on afterwards still kept it fast. Then I rebooted Max with Bitmap Pager on and went to rerender- same problem with render times again.

Comment

Awesome! Glad to be able to help.

Yeah, I read about that problem a long time ago, and for some reason I thought it was fixed in the newer builds but I guess not.
                  Tim Nelson
                  timnelson3d.com

Comment

Working...
                  X