Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Vray Next Beta1

Hello,
    "the warning : Material has unlocked highlight and reflection glossiness : this is no longer supported and will be ignored " = what does it mean ? and how to solve ?
    thank you

It means that the old separate glossiness for specular and reflection is no more (the material UI ought to show this).

Solutions are dependent on shader setup: they may vary from simply copying the lowest glossiness/map of the two (the old parameter still exists, accessible through maxscript) into the reflection, to creating a layered shader with one glossiness value/map each.

Unfortunately, this isn't something easily solvable on our side (to get a 1:1 result, that is), as users' intent when using this option has been varied in the past, and each shader may wish for a different treatment, one which only the original shader creator may know (cfr. very old evermotion stuff.).

Lele
    Trouble Stirrer in RnD @ Chaos
    ----------------------
    emanuele.lecchi@chaos.com

Disclaimer:
    The views and opinions expressed here are my own and do not represent those of Chaos Group, unless otherwise stated.

Comment

just buy VMC, u can disable from scene all highlight lock
      Archviz Designer. 2x 2990wx + 4x 1950x + 3x 1800x / Nvidia RTX GPU.
      3dsmax / maya / vray / corona / redshift / unreal / fstorm / arnold

Comment

Originally posted by vinametal View Post
        just buy VMC, u can disable from scene all highlight lock
        I'd advise against doing that, if the image looks are to be preserved.
        Otherwise, hey, as i said, all it takes is three lines of maxscript (which i have and use daily.) and goodbye to separate glossiness values (and along with those, the original shader look.).
        Lele
        ----------------------

Disclaimer:
        The views and opinions expressed here are my own and do not represent those of Chaos Group, unless otherwise stated.

Comment

Originally posted by ^Lele^ View Post
          I'd advise against doing that, if the image looks are to be preserved.
          Otherwise, hey, as i said, all it takes is three lines of maxscript (which i have and use daily.) and goodbye to separate glossiness values (and along with those, the original shader look.).
          thank you,
          can you share this script ?

Comment

Highlight and Glossines are different features. I just disable, for default is disabled. so i dont see any wrong, any issue, no additional artifact, nothin, hours testing etc. cheers. And about script, is called VMC from http://www.oliverradford.com/3ds-max...erial-control/ non free. U must buy the license to get the premiun features to fix this problem. Edit: Sorry for vray msgs settings, its all wrong, but is just open a old file to show the parameters.
            Last edited by vinametal; 06-01-2018, 05:37 PM.

Comment

Yes, this is precisely what you shouldn't do.
              Along with that, you also removed all and any specular glossiness mapping, and a bi-layer look to your shader.
              As a result, the image before, and after, the treatment (or before and after the beta of Next) will not look the same.
              It may be good enough for you, but it's not something we can force on users.

Still, without further ado, here's the oneliner to turn those off (i shall take no yelling for this, though...):

Code:
              for m in getclassinstances vrayMtl do m.reflection_lockGlossiness = true
              Remember: you will lose specular highlights this way, if they were set up with a sharp reflection and a glossy spec, and all and any of the mapping done to the specular channel. (it's still in the shader, though, just not in the UI).
              Lele
              ----------------------

Disclaimer:

Comment

I keep getting the specular, nothing change, but if u say, cool. cheers

Comment

hi, sorry, just noticed this. I haven`t tried Vray 4 next because we can`t run betas. I can`t quite tell what the situation is above. Are the separate controls for highlight glossy and reflection glossy being removed going forward ?

Comment

Originally posted by anthonyh View Post
                    hi, sorry, just noticed this. I haven`t tried Vray 4 next because we can`t run betas. I can`t quite tell what the situation is above. Are the separate controls for highlight glossy and reflection glossy being removed going forward ?
                    Yes. To make room for nicer things.
                    Lele
                    ----------------------

Disclaimer:

Comment

Originally posted by vinametal View Post
                      I keep getting the specular, nothing change, but if u say, cool. cheers
                      You do, because in your example your reflection glossiness is lower than 1.0.
                      You have still lost whatever parameter/texture was previously setting the Specular glossiness (as one would with my script line above.), along with that part of the effect.

To do it exactly right, one would need to split the original shader in two, a base with the reflection, and a layer for specular -as it was named-, and *add* the two together.
                      That however would require generating a new blend shader, meaning sampling, and memory usage, will be slightly different than with the single shader, and in additive mode one would risk breaking energy preservation if done improperly (the sum of the layers in additive mode isn't checked for reciprocity and could well reflect more light than it receives.).
                      Lele
                      ----------------------

Disclaimer:

Comment

Glad to see it go tbh; never once unlinked the two in ten years - though had many purchased assets with strange setups where they were.
                        Check out my (rarely updated) blog @ http://macviz.blogspot.co.uk/

www.robertslimbrick.com

Cache nothing. Brute force everything.

Comment

Glad to see it go tbh; never once unlinked the two in ten years - though had many purchased assets with strange setups where they were
                          Seconded..
                          Website
                          https://mangobeard.com/
                          Behance
                          https://www.behance.net/seandunderdale

Comment

Good riddance, I've seen colleagues of mine that still use this, takes me a lot of clicking and changing the shaders when I have to work on their scene. Now that they won't be able to use this anymore it will mean less frustration for me
                            A.

---------------------
                            www.digitaltwins.be

Comment

Back a million years ago, it kinda made sense.
                              It's high-time for a Meteor, though.
                              Lele
                              ----------------------

Disclaimer:

Comment

Working...
                              X