Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What is VRay doing during "Updating Instances" or "Updating Geometry"

Just curious.

I got a heavy scene here where it spends quite a significant amount of time "updating instances". What's going on here? Is this just another word for "exporting"?
    Last edited by Art48; 03-04-2018, 05:52 AM. Reason: Typos
    Software:
    Windows 7 Ultimate x64 SP1
    3ds Max 2016 SP4
    V-Ray Adv 3.60.04

Hardware:
    Intel Core i7-4930K @ 3.40 GHz
    NVIDIA GeForce GTX 780 (4096MB RAM)
    64GB RAM

DxDiag

Hello,

During the "Updating instances" phase V-Ray goes through all objects in the scene and evaluates them (including modifiers). Objects that do something at render time can take a while - for example if you have TurboSmooth modifier with render time iterations - the smoothing happens at that moment. In the vraylog.txt there is detailed info about each object with timestamps so you can see where the most time is spent.

Best regards,
    Yavor
    Yavor Rubenov
    V-Ray for 3ds Max developer

Comment

Would this stage be quicker if object modifiers were collapsed?

Comment

For some modifiers - yes it can help. But then you loose editing options.
        Yavor Rubenov

Comment

It would be interesting to test a pre-render-script to collapse them, saving a state, then restoring that state after rendering. I wonder if it would be faster. I don't think so, honestly, but someone might give it a shot :P
          Software:
          Windows 7 Ultimate x64 SP1
          3ds Max 2016 SP4
          V-Ray Adv 3.60.04

Hardware:
          Intel Core i7-4930K @ 3.40 GHz
          NVIDIA GeForce GTX 780 (4096MB RAM)
          64GB RAM

DxDiag

Comment

Originally posted by Art48 View Post
            It would be interesting to test a pre-render-script to collapse them, saving a state, then restoring that state after rendering. I wonder if it would be faster. I don't think so, honestly, but someone might give it a shot :P
            I doubt a script could ever possibly be quicker than whatever code they are doing with a proper programming language.
            http://www.jd3d.co.uk - Vray Mentor

Comment

Temporary collapsing the objects before each render and then restoring them is very similar to just evaluating the modifiers.
              You might get some speedup if you do the collapsing only once and leave the objects collapsed - then subsequent renders will not have to do it and might be a bit faster.
              Yavor Rubenov

Comment

Working...
              X