Apply material by slope and/or height

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Apply material by slope and/or height

I'm trying to find a mask material that will allow me to apply a material based on the height and/or slope of a mesh. Does VRay have something like that? I can't find anything anywhere.

I'm not sure if this will produce the result you are after but you can try using the VRayCurvature or VrayDirt map. Just plug them in the mask slot of the coat material in VrayBlendMtl.
    Aleksandar Mitov
    www.renarvisuals.com
    office@renarvisuals.com

3ds Max 2023.2.2 + Vray 6 Update 2.1
    AMD Ryzen 9 9950X 16-core
    64GB DDR5
    GeForce RTX 3090 24GB + GPU Driver 551.86

Comment

For the height, you can use a Falloff texture in World Z mode, for example. For the slope, you can take the blue component output of a VRaySamplerInfo texture with mode set to "Normal vector" and coordinate system set to World.

Best regards,
      Vlado
      I only act like I know everything, Rogers.

Comment

In a Vray Blend, Vray Distance Tex, based on an other object that could <control> the texture change
        Alain Blanchette
        www.pixistudio.com

Comment

And Maya's snow shader could work as a mask.
          https://www.artstation.com/damaggio

Comment

Oops, wrong forum.
            https://www.artstation.com/damaggio

Comment

Originally posted by vlado View Post
              For the height, you can use a Falloff texture in World Z mode, for example. For the slope, you can take the blue component output of a VRaySamplerInfo texture with mode set to "Normal vector" and coordinate system set to World.

Best regards,
              Vlado
              Falloff in World or preferably local Z axis actually is slope mapping.
              For the height is usually take a gradient and use a planar mapping in x or y axis as mask.

For slope mapping there is also the Top Bottom material in max. It takes overhangs into account unlike a falloff but the blending between both materials is always linear and can not be as fine adjusted as with a falloff.

In hte attached example I used falloff for slope mapping
              Last edited by samuel_bubat; 18-04-2018, 01:41 AM.

Comment

Comment

Working...
                X