GI spots

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GI spots

I don't think this is a bug, or directly related to one build or the other, but it's a problem I can't seem to fix in my current project.

I'm getting a lot of spots in the corner where it goes from light to dark. I've tried just about everything I can think of...

- increased light sudivs.
    - increased interp. samples
    - tried IRmap settings at very high
    - tried different aa method
    - tried 1/1 color mapping
    - tried different interpolation types & sample lookups
    - turning off & on certain lights

Still nothing! When I render at a high resolution, the spots are still there, although smaller. Any other ideas?

Here's the pic & enlarged area of what I'm talking about.

Tim Nelson
    timnelson3d.com

i find that if you have a light with area shadow turned on for vray shadow and the light is too close to the wall it will sometimes do something like that

---------------------------------------------------
    MSN addresses are not for newbies or warez users to contact the pros and bug them with
    stupid questions the forum can answer.

Comment

Hmm, I don't think I have any area shadows turned on, but I will definitely check. thanks!
      Tim Nelson
      timnelson3d.com

Comment

Nope that wasn't it. I actually did have area shadows on one of my lights, but turning them off didn't do anything.
        Tim Nelson
        timnelson3d.com

Comment

what happens if you give everything a default diffuse material?

"Sometimes life leaves a hundred dollar bill on your dresser, and you don't realize until later that it's because it fu**ed you."

Comment

Good idea, but I'm still getting similar results.
            Tim Nelson
            timnelson3d.com

Comment

What's your qmc noise threshold?
              Torgeir Holm | www.netronfilm.com

Comment

threshold is at .005 which I think is the default setting. I haven't changed any of the other qmc defaults either.
                Tim Nelson
                timnelson3d.com

Comment

Does lowering it to 0.002 change anything?

Comment

Torgeir, you nailed it! If I lower the noise threshold it smooths it out a lot, although rendering times have significantly increased. .002 works pretty good, but it seems to have doubled the rendering time. Set it at 0.0 and it's beautiful, with triple rendering times. Can't have everything though, right?

Thanks a lot man. One less thing to think about.
                    Tim Nelson
                    timnelson3d.com

Comment

Comment

does that mean your walls have glossy reflections or something? just like the grainy aluminium thing...all down to the noise threshold

Comment

no, it was just a plain vray mat. No glossy or anything. I did have a small bump on it, but I was having the same problem even if i didn't use a bump at all.
                          Tim Nelson
                          timnelson3d.com

Comment

You must have some area light (vray light) in your windows or something??? This is no GI noise, it really looks like area shadows, wich would explain why the noise th solves your problem.
                            Aversis 3D | Download High Quality HDRI Maps | Vray Tutorials | Free Texture Maps

Comment

I do have a vray light in the window, but I'm pretty sure it is a GI thing and not area shadows. I tried doing a no GI render just to make sure and this is what I get.

Tim Nelson
                              timnelson3d.com

Comment

Working...
                              X