Different reflection needed for a material

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Different reflection needed for a material

In working on a Polished nickel escutcheon, I have a reflection plane set up with a gradient map on it to provide uneven reflectivity, mainly to the escutcheon. The problem is that whenever a knob is involved, the gradient is unworkable. The immediate option is Photoshop in post, but I'm wondering if there's a way to have *just* the knob reflect something else. I immediately thought about the Override material, but that doesn't work in this application. I'm wondering if there are any other things to try, or a way to maybe exclude the gradient map so another plane directly behind it might redlect instead?

I swear, I am not a robot
    Last edited by Streetwise; 07-05-2018, 06:36 AM.
    David Anderson
    www.DavidAnderson.tv

Software:
    Windows 10 Pro
    3ds Max 2023.3 Update
    V-Ray GPU 6 Update 1

Hardware:
    Puget Systems
    TRX40 EATX
    AMD Ryzen Threadripper 3970X 32-Core 3.69GHz
    2X NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090
    128GB RAM

I think I may have solved my problem. Should have done some further digging... It seems like it's a matter of excluding the gradient plane in the knob's v-ray properties. Then create a new plane directly behind the old plane so that it's material is then reflected in the knob. The one thing though is that you have to turn off "cast shadows" on the gradient plane. It's still not perfect, but way better than it was. I'm still open to other ideas.
    David Anderson
    www.DavidAnderson.tv

Software:
    Windows 10 Pro
    3ds Max 2023.3 Update
    V-Ray GPU 6 Update 1

Hardware:
    Puget Systems
    TRX40 EATX
    AMD Ryzen Threadripper 3970X 32-Core 3.69GHz
    2X NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090
    128GB RAM