Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Verdict on Max 2019?

Hi All,

Considering the success of my previous topic "Verdict on Max 2018?" (still going strong!), I thought it was time to do the same for Max 2019.
    My office hasn't started using it yet, but there's a few tasty looking features we'd like to try, so I was wondering if anyone here has hands-on experience of it? Is it buggy? Is it stable? Is it usable in a production environment? Is it complete garbage ?

Thanks in advance!
    http://www.glass-canvas.co.uk

I`ve barely tested it but so far the viewport works faster for me on a couple of tests than 2016 does with my old Quadro 4000 card. I guess we`ll have to risk migrating at some point but we always seem to be mid-job. It`s early days and I`m curious to hear about the success and failures myself. We`d normally wait until at least SP1 as Autodesk isn`t known for stable product launches. We skipped 2017 and 2018 so it would be nice to actually use some software we pay for. Double click drop down menu/data box bug still isn`t fixed though, sigh.

Comment

Yep, the double click and the hotkeys issues are still present. Other than that it should be similarly stable to 2018, with an improved UI (their work finally starts to pay off in 2019, 2018 was a bit rough in some places) and some cool new features like shape booleans, custom file data streams, batch processing, improved fluids workflow etc... I don't think viewport performance was touched so it should be the same for 2018 and 2019. Going to switch as soon as some missing plugins are recompiled.
      EDIT - Totally forgot about OSL, which is a really neat addition, too.
      Last edited by pokoy; 15-05-2018, 05:59 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by pokoy View Post
        Yep, the double click and the hotkeys issues are still present. Other than that it should be similarly stable to 2018, with an improved UI (their work finally starts to pay off in 2019, 2018 was a bit rough in some places) and some cool new features like shape booleans, custom file data streams, batch processing, improved fluids workflow etc... I don't think viewport performance was touched so it should be the same for 2018 and 2019. Going to switch as soon as some missing plugins are recompiled.
        EDIT - Totally forgot about OSL, which is a really neat addition, too.
        I hadn`t seen shape booleans video before. I read it and thought, haven`t we already got that ? Looks like a decent new feature especially the live bevel/filleting. As for OSL, I`m not a scripter/coder so it`s limited use for me, unless generous folks allow me to download all their premade stuff. Are all OSL shaders compatible or do they need to be made for 3dsMax compatibility ?

Comment

I read that viewport performance in 2019 is better, however, I haven't gotten into 2019 yet. I am still waiting for AutoDesk's formal apology for MAX 2017
          Bobby Parker
          www.bobby-parker.com
          e-mail: info@bobby-parker.com
          phone: 2188206812

My current hardware setup:
          • Ryzen 9 5900x CPU
          • 128gb Vengeance RGB Pro RAM
          • NVIDIA GeForce RTX 4090
          • ​Windows 11 Pro

Comment

I'm very happy with 2019.

Comment

Originally posted by anthonyh View Post
              ...Are all OSL shaders compatible or do they need to be made for 3dsMax compatibility ?
              There are certain features that other packages might support that 3dsmax doesn't, so you probably can't use any OSL shader out there but the majority should work. I think it's still going to be improved in 3dsmax so chances are the general compatibility will increase.
              As of now, Max does not support OSL closures (materials), only shaders (maps/textures) and won't use the include command. From what I know the include command can call external libraries which works in Blender for example. But I'm not an expert by any means, all of this is based on my limited knowledge of the matter.

Comment

Originally posted by pokoy View Post
                There are certain features that other packages might support that 3dsmax doesn't, so you probably can't use any OSL shader out there but the majority should work. I think it's still going to be improved in 3dsmax so chances are the general compatibility will increase.
                As of now, Max does not support OSL closures (materials), only shaders (maps/textures) and won't use the include command. From what I know the include command can call external libraries which works in Blender for example. But I'm not an expert by any means, all of this is based on my limited knowledge of the matter.
                Thanks for the explanation. I know diddly squat about OSL so useful to know.
                anthonyh

Comment

The shortcut issue has been fixed in 2019.
                  There is also fix script for 2018. It seems working well for many including us.
                  https://area.autodesk.com/blogs/max-...2018-update-4/

For OSL, 100+ OSL maps are shipped with 3dsMax 2019.
                  It also brings many requested workflow.
                  Please check my website.
                  http://cganimator.com/3dsmax-2019-osl-map/

Also for premade OSL, AD has Git repository.
                  https://github.com/ADN-DevTech/3dsMax-OSL-Shaders
                  This is mine.
                  http://cganimator.com/3dsmax-2019-osl-shader-pack-1/

Also new Advanced Wood is true 3D procedural wood simulator with a lot of controls.
                  When you have a lot of cutout in your model and want to have realistic pattern, it is the map to use.

Also I was able to make a small script thanks to a new feature.
                  http://cganimator.com/csmergeby-powe...e-data-stream/
                  Last edited by gandhics; 16-05-2018, 03:07 PM.

Comment

Working...
                  X