Bitmap blur and filter

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bitmap blur and filter

I am assuming turning filter and blur off would be the best for render speed, correct? If a texture looks bad then I could adjust it as needed. Are you turning filter and blur off, or are you leaving it at default?
    Bobby Parker
    www.bobby-parker.com
    e-mail: info@bobby-parker.com
    phone: 2188206812

My current hardware setup:
    • Ryzen 9 5900x CPU
    • 128gb Vengeance RGB Pro RAM
    • NVIDIA GeForce RTX 4090
    • ​Windows 11 Pro

No, please NEVER turn off filtering. The default values are best for performance. You can decrease the blur a little bit, but it has the potential to increase render times as the renderer will need more AA rays to produce a good image.

Best regards,
    Vlado
    I only act like I know everything, Rogers.

Comment

Great, I am glad I asked. Thank you!
      Bobby Parker
      www.bobby-parker.com
      e-mail: info@bobby-parker.com
      phone: 2188206812

My current hardware setup:
      • Ryzen 9 5900x CPU
      • 128gb Vengeance RGB Pro RAM
      • NVIDIA GeForce RTX 4090
      • ​Windows 11 Pro

Comment

Is there a recommended setting for the bitmap blur? Standard it's 1.0 but that seems ridiculous to me. I always tend to set it to 0.1 or maybe lower for the diffuse maps. (reflection/glossiness is another matter).

Comment

I also tend to set the texture blur to 0.1-0.15. To me detailed textures look crisper that way, especially at longer distances and oblique angles.
          Max 2023.2.2 + Vray 6 Update 2.1 ( 6.20.06 )
          AMD Ryzen 7950X 16-core | 64GB DDR5 RAM 6400 Mbps | MSI GeForce RTX 3090 Suprim X 24GB (rendering) | GeForce GTX 1080 Ti FE 11GB (display) | GPU Driver 546.01 | NVMe SSD Samsung 980 Pro 1TB | Win 10 Pro x64 22H2

Comment

Originally posted by Alex_M View Post
            I also tend to set the texture blur to 0.1-0.15. To me detailed textures look crisper that way, especially at longer distances and oblique angles.
            What Vlado said, a million times over.
            Further to that, lowering filtering will provide for apparent sharpness only in stills, making a veritable mess of spatio-temporal coherence in animation.
            Want better results, use higher resolution textures, and/or a better filtering method (cfr. VRayHDRI loader.).
            Lele
            Trouble Stirrer in RnD @ Chaos
            ----------------------
            emanuele.lecchi@chaos.com

Disclaimer:
            The views and opinions expressed here are my own and do not represent those of Chaos Group, unless otherwise stated.

Comment

Originally posted by ^Lele^ View Post

What Vlado said, a million times over.
              Further to that, lowering filtering will provide for apparent sharpness only in stills, making a veritable mess of spatio-temporal coherence in animation.
              Want better results, use higher resolution textures, and/or a better filtering method (cfr. VRayHDRI loader.).
              But then do you lower the blur value in the HDRI loader too?

Comment

You could try the elliptical filtering mode instead of lowering the blur value.

Best regards,
                Vlado
                I only act like I know everything, Rogers.

Comment

Sooooo I always put my textures in VrayHDRI, and set my filtering to elleptical. BUT for diffuse I always set blur to 0.01 and for reflection and such around 0.3, fur bump I leave it at 1.0.

So in short, this is wrong? Better to leave the blur at 1.0 when using elleptical?
                  A.

---------------------
                  www.digitaltwins.be

Comment

Originally posted by Vizioen View Post
                    Sooooo I always put my textures in VrayHDRI, and set my filtering to elleptical. BUT for diffuse I always set blur to 0.01 and for reflection and such around 0.3, fur bump I leave it at 1.0.

So in short, this is wrong? Better to leave the blur at 1.0 when using elleptical?
                    Well, what do your tests say?
                    Try rendering a textured plane with varying filter amounts, *to a specific N.T. and with plenty of max AA subdivs*, and the answer to your questions should be apparent.
                    Lele
                    ----------------------

Disclaimer:
                    The views and opinions expressed here are my own and do not represent those of Chaos Group, unless otherwise stated.

Comment

Ah, time for tests and development. Those were the days.....

Need to update my library to vrayhdri anyway at some point. Will try to test the blur values aswell.

A question for the theory; is the blur value relative to the texture resolution or the render output/geometry? For some reason I always assumed it was based on render output / uvwmap size. So if you placed a texture at 1x1x1m the blur value would be relative to that size, and not whether the texture is 2000x2000 (visual blur is 1.0) or 8000x8000px (visual blur is 0.25).
                      Last edited by dean_dmoo; 04-06-2018, 03:31 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by dean_dmoo View Post
                        Haha hear hear.

A.

---------------------
                        www.digitaltwins.be

Comment

here's a simple contact sheet, a scaled-down version of the texture used, and a fullsize crop of its detail.
                          I placed a 15000x7000 pixels image on a plane, and rendered it very slanted at 2048x1024 under a white domelight, to 0.004 noise threshold.
                          As the camera encompasses the whole texture in the furthest area of the plane, we see magnification in the bottom part of the frame, and minification (roughly a 7.5:1) at the top.

Notice that low filtering has no temporal coherence on top of everything else, and it will sizzle like mad in animations.
                          Further, notice how lowering filtering essentially delegates the (recursive!) job to the AA sampler, with potentially explosive results on rendertime (it'll depend on the texture contrast, its lighting conditions and so on).
                          Elliptical filtering, while being the slowest, is on par with no filtering, while preserving sharpness and maintaining temporal coherence without unduly, and situationally, taxing the AA sampler (see the sampleRate Re crop, in blue)

Click image for larger version

Name:	filtering_CS.jpg
Views:	2663
Size:	4.97 MB
ID:	998572Click image for larger version

Name:	filtering_texture.jpg
Views:	2590
Size:	938.1 KB
ID:	998570Click image for larger version

Name:	filtering_texture_FullsizeCrop.jpg
Views:	2541
Size:	1.92 MB
ID:	998571
                          Last edited by ^Lele^; 04-06-2018, 05:03 AM. Reason: fixed the contact sheet.
                          Lele
                          ----------------------

Disclaimer:

Comment

Originally posted by dean_dmoo View Post

Need to update my library to vrayhdri anyway at some point. Will try to test the blur values aswell.

A question for the theory; is the blur value relative to the texture resolution or the render output/geometry? For some reason I always assumed it was based on render output / uvwmap size. So if you placed a texture at 1x1x1m the blur value would be relative to that size, and not whether the texture is 2000x2000 (visual blur is 1.0) or 8000x8000px (visual blur is 0.25).
                            In max, it's much worse than that:
                            http://help.autodesk.com/view/3DSMAX...0-92646FC8A562
                            (Very bottom of the page).

I *assume* they really do trilinear filtering (ie. interpolate also across mipmap levels too) and that the Blur parameter biases which mip levels are being interpolated (consider it a power curve...).
                            So, set it to low and you get just the highest mip size being used, raise it, and it will progressively try and use the lower ones, closer to camera.
                            The Blur Offset is akin to a gain of said MIP levels being considered, on top of the blur value.

The problem with setting filtering to use the highest mip available (ie. the fullsize picture) at all times is that it turns essentially filtering off, with all the mathematical problems that that entails.
                            Lele
                            ----------------------

Disclaimer:

Comment

Originally posted by ^Lele^ View Post
                              here's a simple contact sheet, a scaled-down version of the texture used, and a fullsize crop of its detail.
                              I placed a 15000x7000 pixels image on a plane, and rendered it very slanted at 2048x1024 under a white domelight, to 0.004 noise threshold.
                              As the camera encompasses the whole texture in the furthest area of the plane, we see magnification in the bottom part of the frame, and minification (roughly a 7.5:1) at the top.

Notice that low filtering has no temporal coherence on top of everything else, and it will sizzle like mad in animations.
                              Further, notice how lowering filtering essentially delegates the (recursive!) job to the AA sampler, with potentially explosive results on rendertime (it'll depend on the texture contrast, its lighting conditions and so on).
                              Elliptical filtering, while being the slowest, is on par with no filtering, while preserving sharpness and maintaining temporal coherence without unduly, and situationally, taxing the AA sampler (see the sampleRate Re crop, in blue)
                              If Elliptical filtering is using less AA, why does it take longer to render than max bitmap Blur 0.01?Just curious!

Comment

Working...
                              X