Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Vrayproxy doesn't render displacement in material

Hello,
    I don't know if am missing something but i haven't notice this before. I am having displacement in the material node, as i am using the tree in this case and want to displace the bark. When rendering the proxy, the displacement is being ignored, when i import the mesh from the displ and apply same material the displ is working as should.
    Is there some checkbox for this or something ?

Thanks a lot

Hey,

Add a VRayDisplacementMod with "Use object mtl" checked to the proxy.
    If it was that easy, it would have already been done

Peter Matanov
    Chaos

Comment

And this doesn't apply the displacement to whole object ?

Comment

If you are using a multisub mtl for the tree and assign a displacement map to the bark sub material with VRayDisplacementMod (use object mtl) on the whole proxy - it should apply the displacement only on the bark.

Peter Matanov
        Chaos

Comment

OK ! am gonna try it right away,
          thanks

Comment

Has this stopped working? I just tried it, and have no joy. Is there an alternate way of getting displacement on vrayproxies?
            Thanks!

Comment

Just tried it - works fine here. Maybe share the problematic scene?

Peter Matanov
              Chaos

Comment

Had the same Issue. Worked fine with the Vray Displacement Modifier. Is this described in the docs? Could not find it there. I think it´s something very important.

best,

Jonas

Comment

Hello

I did some tests and it works properly with the described setup.
                  HowardDay Please, make sure your proxy asset has distinct polygon material ID for the areas you want displaced and also that there is proper mapping to them.
                  Then attach your displacement map to the sub-material with matching Multi/Sub-Object slot ID.

(In my test example below I have set mtl ID 2 to the teapot's body first, then exported to vrmesh and both the mesh Teapot and the VRayProxy use the same VRayDisplacementMod modifier and Multi/Sub-Object material)

Click image for larger version

Name:	proxy_mtlID_displace.png
Views:	1168
Size:	573.7 KB
ID:	1121355

If this doesn't work, please send us a simplified version of your scene - we'll be happy to check on it and investigate the problem.

jonas_bloch , good idea, we'll find some proper place for this hint in the docs!

Best regards,
                  Margarita
                  Attached Files
                  Last edited by Margarita.Stoeva; 05-08-2021, 01:25 AM.
                  Margarita Stoeva | chaos.com
                  Chaos QA (V-Ray for 3ds Max)

Comment

Hi,

I need to use displacement on a few proxies here and I have the same issue I tried the suggestions in the thread, but nothing worked. Can anyone please provide a sample scene with a teapot that shows how it's done?

Update: I think I found out what the problem was! I had to not only use the strength multiplier of the displacement map slot in the material, but also the "Amount" in the Vray displacement modifier. Now displacement seems to render fine.
                    Last edited by Alex_M; 12-03-2022, 12:34 PM.
                    Aleksandar Mitov
                    www.renarvisuals.com
                    office@renarvisuals.com

3ds Max 2023.2.2 + Vray 6 Update 2.1
                    AMD Ryzen 9 9950X 16-core
                    64GB DDR5
                    GeForce RTX 3090 24GB + GPU Driver 551.86

Comment

Working...
                    X