Nvidia Denoiser and Catmull-Rom Filter artifacts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Nvidia Denoiser and Catmull-Rom Filter artifacts

Found this issue when trying to use Catmull-Rom Image filter to get a sharper image, but when enabling the Nvidia AI Denoiser I got these weird artifacts (Image on the right):

Quick Update, I tried with Mitchell-Netravali and got the same artifacts.

Comment

Both contain sharpening (negative) components, which may not be liked by the NVIDIA denoiser (perhaps no training?).
      Try with wholly positive filters (lanczos as V-Ray implements it, area, gaussian, bicubic and so on), and see if changes the outcome.
      Lele
      Trouble Stirrer in RnD @ Chaos
      ----------------------
      emanuele.lecchi@chaos.com

Disclaimer:
      The views and opinions expressed here are my own and do not represent those of Chaos Group, unless otherwise stated.

Comment

Thanks for the reply Lele! I was looking for a sharper result that is why I was trying those two.

I wish that we had a sharpness option in the Correction Control (just like the VFB plugin). I know that is not good for animation but it's very helpful when doing stills.

Comment

We may have something when the new VFB will be ready, and if not, i hope there'll be some way to write one's own kernels (like old school photoshop) so to be able to create sharpener, blurrer and so on...
          Lele
          ----------------------

Disclaimer:
          The views and opinions expressed here are my own and do not represent those of Chaos Group, unless otherwise stated.

Comment

Ah great news Lele!

The plugin I'm referring to is called VFB+

It's really great and the Depth of Field is particulary helpful! Even does proper bokeh effect on lights!

I attached the UI, I have been using for a long time (and is free now) but it cannot be used if the NVIDIA denoiser is on.

Anyways, you guys should take a look:

http://www.monotoneminimal.com/vfb

Click image for larger version  Name:	VFB+.jpg Views:	2 Size:	258.9 KB ID:	1002173 Click image for larger version  Name:	VFB+.jpg Views:	2 Size:	258.9 KB ID:	1002174

Comment

Oh we have, we have.
              Lele
              ----------------------

Disclaimer:

Comment

Working...
              X