Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

scripted volumegrid creation in 3.6 - process to load a single vdb and have the object set to the correct dimensions? Also any hints on speed / memory?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• scripted volumegrid creation in 3.6 - process to load a single vdb and have the object set to the correct dimensions? Also any hints on speed / memory?

Heya folks,

Doing some cloud tests on a new show and I'm using a library of houdini vdb files. We're doing a falling from space type of shot so I'm looking at the scripting of volume grid creation. Doing a simple maxscript creation of a grid and setting it's rendinput parameter to a file path of a vdb doesn't load a preview or set the grid to the dimensions of it's input so I'm wondering what's the process of getting it to update? On a manual load we get a prompt to ask us how to set values depending on where the vdb file came from which I'm sure is playing a big part. If I have a manually created grid I can swap the rendinput property and it'll update fine but if I wanted to load in a few hundred caches it'd be great to script it.

On a second note, we're testing this against another app which is very low in overheads for vdbs but not as nice looking but it'd require a second pass. Due to the amount visible in the shot I'd say we'll have some large memory overheads and we'll potentially be going from far away to close up - any hints besides things like step size that could keep the overheads down with thousands of vdbs?

Cheers!

John

Hey,

It should be quite easy for the scripting part. It's best if you get a latest stable build though as we have added scripting functionality to load a render preset via Maxscript.

The script should be something like this:

VRayVolumeGrid ()
    select $VRayVolumeGrid001
    $.inpathraw = "Path\Test_###.vdb"
    $.rendinput = "Path\Test_###.vdb"
    $.usrchmap = "2,density;1,temperature;4,vel.x;5,vel.y;6,vel .z;"
    $.loadRenderPreset "Path\Test_preset.tpr"

In your case you probably missed the usrchmap - it maps the Houdini channels to the V-Ray ones. 1 is temperature, 2 is smoke, 3 is fuel, 4,5,6 is velocity.

As for the memory optimization - I can't think of something special.

Cheers,
    Georgi Zhekov
    Phoenix Product Manager
    Chaos

Comment

Georgi you're a superstar. Our pipeline guy should be back in today so I'll get on the nightlies - much appreciated!

Comment

Working...
      X