Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• VRayIES lights, fog and area samples

Hello there,

I noticed problems using IES lights with an area emitter in environment fog. It works in general, and using Next/buckets you can kind of clean it up to a certain degree with shading rate at insane render times. Using GPU/progressive there seems to be no dials or knobs to route more samples into the fog. VRay lights standard do not have that problem, and render smooth as butter.

I am aware that is tricky, as IES profiles are measured from a single point by definition and area is just a hack. Nevertheless, as there is an interface on VRayIES to set to area and use that area for lighting i think it should work.

Please see attached sample file: It features one VRayLight and one VRayIES side by side with same settings and a large but not unrealistic area emitter with fog. I could not find any way to get the VRayIES to render smooth. Cranking samples on the light to 1000 does not change a thing, in fact it seems to be discoupled. Try turn off the Denoising RE to get a clearer look at the spotty samples right under the emitter.

Am i doing something wrong?

Cheers,
    Axel
    Attached Files
Working...
X