Computer Freeze

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by glorybound View Post
    Here are some Windows command line tools I found online. You have to elevate the cmd to an admin before you run it.

set /a CORE_COUNT=%NUMBER_OF_PROCESSORS%-1
    setx /M VRAY_NUM_THREADS %CORE_COUNT%
    So, this worked flawlessly up until I upgraded to the latest NEXT. Do you guys have it out for me? Was this last update just to foil my workaround? . I ran it again and this time, it doesn't work.
    Bobby Parker
    www.bobby-parker.com
    e-mail: info@bobby-parker.com
    phone: 2188206812

My current hardware setup:
    • Ryzen 9 5900x CPU
    • 128gb Vengeance RGB Pro RAM
    • NVIDIA GeForce RTX 4090
    • ​Windows 11 Pro

Comment

This seems to be a critical bug that's being blown off. Not being able to move your mouse while a rendering is processing, means you can't cancel, remote access or anything else for that matter. Nobody has said it is a bug that's being worked on. Actually, we really are not getting any kind of feedback, except for workarounds that don't work for most people who are trying them.
      Bobby Parker
      www.bobby-parker.com

• Ryzen 9 5900x CPU
      • ​Windows 11 Pro

Comment

I would love to say that we are working on this or that a fix is coming.
        Unfortunately this problem is not related to V-Ray in any way - it happens with many different programs that load the CPU enough. For example I get it a lot while compiling source code without having even Max running. This is quite uncomfortable for me too and I tried to do some digging and find the reason - everything points to a problem in the operating system itself or a combination between it and some drivers. User mode applications just don't have the privileges to do such things.
        Yavor Rubenov
        V-Ray for 3ds Max developer

Comment

I tried it again using the Windows PowerShell (admin) and it stuck this time, so far. Last time that's what I used, but when I updated V-Ray and it stopped working I used the CMD Prompt (admin), which didn't work. I am not sure what the difference is, but that's what happened. I don't remember this ever happening in V-Ray and I have been using it for a long time. I have been using Windows 10 when it was in beta, too. There doesn't seem to be an issue using Corona.
          Bobby Parker
          www.bobby-parker.com

• Ryzen 9 5900x CPU
          • ​Windows 11 Pro

Comment

I have the same issue. The only way to stop it is to set the Max Priority to Below Normal. This worked for me, but I don't know how to make max load like that "by default". I have a Dell 72 core machine as well and set VRAY_NUM_THREADS to 64 but it still froze and used all. It's like the variable is not working?

NEW UPDATE! It seems the "Dell Optimizer" is forcing max to run at High Priority. This is taking over even the display ability. Turning off the Dell Optimizer ironically optimizes things and keeps it visible while working. I just removed the friggin thing. It's not their place to optimize a third party application.
            Last edited by joelly3d; 11-10-2018, 07:27 AM.
            -Joel E
            https://www.biglittlepictures.com

Comment

Working...
            X