Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Max 2018.4 sometimes suddenly closes down on autosave without crash report. Autodesk blames Vray?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Max 2018.4 sometimes suddenly closes down on autosave without crash report. Autodesk blames Vray?

Recently I started getting crashes when Max autosaves a scene. I don't even get the crash report window. It just closes down. I did a Google search with the terms "3ds max autosave crash" and this is the first result I get. Could Vray really be the cause as Autodesk points out? Anyone else experiencing this and how can I prevent it?
    Max 2023.2.2 + Vray 6 Update 2.1 ( 6.20.06 )
    AMD Ryzen 7950X 16-core | 64GB DDR5 RAM 6400 Mbps | MSI GeForce RTX 3090 Suprim X 24GB (rendering) | GeForce GTX 1080 Ti FE 11GB (display) | GPU Driver 546.01 | NVMe SSD Samsung 980 Pro 1TB | Win 10 Pro x64 22H2

Might be related to this also:

https://3dground.net/article/attenti...es-in-3ds-max-

You never know. A few of my colleagues had the symptoms of these scripts.
    A.

---------------------
    www.digitaltwins.be

Comment

Thanks, I took a look and ran the test scripts (globalVars.isGlobal #CRP_BScript) and (globalVars.isGlobal #CRP_BScript). Both returned "false" so I don't think I'm infected with a virus.
      AMD Ryzen 7950X 16-core | 64GB DDR5 RAM 6400 Mbps | MSI GeForce RTX 3090 Suprim X 24GB (rendering) | GeForce GTX 1080 Ti FE 11GB (display) | GPU Driver 546.01 | NVMe SSD Samsung 980 Pro 1TB | Win 10 Pro x64 22H2

Comment

Yep, that's 3DS MAX for you. I tell them, over on the Autodesk support forum, that they only get a fraction of the crash information because most crashes crash to the desktop with a report being sent.
        Bobby Parker
        www.bobby-parker.com
        e-mail: info@bobby-parker.com
        phone: 2188206812

My current hardware setup:
        • Ryzen 9 5900x CPU
        • 128gb Vengeance RGB Pro RAM
        • NVIDIA GeForce RTX 4090
        • ​Windows 11 Pro

Comment

Happened again just now. I was saving an image from the VFB and then I clicked once on the close button to close the VFB window while the image was still being saved. Max crashed to desktop without error report. Thankfully the image was saved successfully.
          Last edited by Alex_M; 31-08-2018, 04:28 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Alex_M View Post
            Happened again just now. I was saving an image from the VFB and then I clicked once on the close button to close the VFB window while the image was still being saved. Max crashed to desktop without error report. Thankfully the image was saved successfully.
            This specifically is an issue that we fixed literally a couple of days ago and we are working to upload a fix ASAP. It seems different from the issue in the first post though.

Best regards,
            Vlado
            I only act like I know everything, Rogers.

Comment

Originally posted by Alex_M View Post
              Recently I started getting crashes when Max autosaves a scene. I don't even get the crash report window. It just closes down. I did a Google search with the terms "3ds max autosave crash" and this is the first result I get. Could Vray really be the cause as Autodesk points out? Anyone else experiencing this and how can I prevent it?
              In the issue it says "Most recent V-Ray version is not installed which includes a fix for this issue. Update 3ds Max 2018 to include the most recent version of V-Ray (3.60.04) from Chaos Group." So it's possible that what you experience is something different. Do you have any crash dumps? Right after the crash, if you get to the temporary folder (type %temp% in Windows Explorer) do you see a 3dsmax_minidump.dmp file generated at that moment of time (look at the file modified time)? If yes, can you send it to me at vlado@chaosgroup.com to investigate?

Best regards,
              Vlado
              I only act like I know everything, Rogers.

Comment

I don't see any crash dumps in the temp folder and I haven't cleaned it for a while so I assume they didn't get created at all? I might be wrong, but doesn't Max generate a crash dump only if it shows the crash report window? Both times Max didn't show that window. Anyways, I'll check again next time it happens.

Comment

This may not be pertinent but... I have had real problem with max autosave. Autosave yakes 10 times longer than standard file>save and sometimes causes crashes or lock up. I went thru the frustrating process of asking about this on the adesk max support forum. I learned that as of a release or two back, a option to use a key command to cancel or escape form an auto save was added. This ne "feature" caused the established, long used without trouble, auto save feature to now take 10x longer each time it auto saves. (new feature screws up old standard operations - don't they test this stuff?).

This long autosave time wazs killing me and so for a while I disabled autosave. That was not good because it is far bette rtto have that securtiy in place IMO. The workaround I got form the adesk max forum was this. You have to do this each time you start a new max session. Open Max Listener. enter this command: autoSave.BailoutEnabled = off. it returns a value of false. type in true and hit enter key.

this may help your crash problem. not sure but easy to do and might be worth a try.
                  mark f.
                  openrangeimaging.com

Max 2023.3.4 | Vray 6 update 2 | Win 10

Core i7 6950 | GeForce RTX 2060 | 64 G RAM

Comment

Max crashed again on another computer when closing the VFB window right after rendering was complete. No crash report window and no crash dump file in temp.

Comment

Working...
                    X