Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Possible bug in VRayClipper

Hi,

I may have discovered a bug in VRayClipper.
    3ds max 2016 SP5
    VRay 3.60.04

It seems that VRayClipper doesn't create a surface when cutting away some geometry on a normal, thick object under this circumstance.

Please find attached the scene and some screenshots.

Steps to reproduce:

1) Open scene and IPR render the camera viewport.
    2) RealZoom in until you see the black line running across the surface of the front of the letter.
    3) Note that this is not how it should look like.
    4) Select the object "B_Deckel_Rahmen" and enable the "DeleteMesh" modifier to delete the mesh of said object (keep IPR running)
    5) Note that as soon as that object is gone, the scene renders as it should, the line which is cut away rendering with a red surface.

another way is to render the scene one time as is and one time with the object "B_Deckel_Flaeche" and "Clipper_Deckel_Rille" isolated together.

For some reason an object seemingly unrelated breaks VRayClipper. Can support staff or users review this?
    Attached Files
    Software:
    Windows 7 Ultimate x64 SP1
    3ds Max 2016 SP4
    V-Ray Adv 3.60.04

Hardware:
    Intel Core i7-4930K @ 3.40 GHz
    NVIDIA GeForce GTX 780 (4096MB RAM)
    64GB RAM

DxDiag

Hello,

The whole B_Deckel_Rahmen seems to be with inverted normals. Because of that the clipper assumes it is entirely inside it. If you flip the normals then the black line becomes red.
    Another way around it is if you don't exclude anything from the clipper (empty exclude list or B_Deckel_Rahmen included).

There was a similar issue here:
    https://forums.chaosgroup.com/forum/...82#post1008282
    where I've tried to explain the problem (images are not shown for some reason but visible on clicking).
    In the end to fix the issue in that thread we changed some of the inner workings of the clipper. With that change your scene also works out of the box. The fix will go in a next service pack we release.

Best regards,
    Yavor

Yavor Rubenov
    V-Ray for 3ds Max developer

Comment

Wow, nice, thanks Yavor! Good that there's a fix in the works. Although in this case it's a user error due to the inverted normals of the said object, it still definitely shouldn't have an impact here. But I see the flow of shading here and it makes sense from a technical point of view. Thanks for the fix!
      Software:
      Windows 7 Ultimate x64 SP1
      3ds Max 2016 SP4
      V-Ray Adv 3.60.04

Hardware:
      Intel Core i7-4930K @ 3.40 GHz
      NVIDIA GeForce GTX 780 (4096MB RAM)
      64GB RAM

DxDiag

Comment

Working...
      X