Z-Depth Issues VRay Next

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Z-Depth Issues VRay Next

We recently switched to GPU Next at the office (coming from 3.2), and I have run into some issues.

1) Previously, you could render a z-depth pass using the "z-depth use camera clip boundaries" option in the Render Elements tab, and turn the "Clip Manually" function off in your camera so no geometry is clipped, but the values are passed to the z-depth element. However, now with GPU Next, if you turn the Clip Manually option off, it renders black (because clipping is off?). This is a real downer because it's super easy to animate the clipping planes to have the depth channel change focus.

Because of the above issue, I'm rendering my z-depth & velocity elements in a second pass using CPU Next. However, now I have run into an issue with that.

2) I am having problems getting a .EXR file with a z-depth element that has no alpha channel applied. In After Effects, I interpret my footage as alpha ignored and extract the Z channel, but it still appears to have an alpha applied (see attached picture, if I flip the transparency grid on, there's a phantom transparent background, but objects are not visible through it {pink solid in background} ). GPU Next creates a z-depth element correctly, but because of issue #1, I can't really use that.

Any thoughts? Bugs? User error?

Thanks!
    Attached Files

Hello there,

Please excuse us for the delay of our reply. Yes is looks like something has changed in V-Ray Next GPU and now when Clipping Planes are disabled GPU doesn't render ZDepth element properly.
    This has been just added into our bug tracking system with ID: VGPU-3604, hopefully we'll fix it soon.

I'm not sure how to replicate the second issue though.I'm not familiar with After Effects and have no idea what to do in order to get this effect.
    Would it be possible to send me a scene and .EXR file and let me know the operations that you are executing in Affect Effects, I'll try to do the same thing in Nuke and we'll let you know whether same thing happens or not.
    Svetlozar Draganov | Senior Manager 3D Support | contact us
    Chaos & Enscape & Cylindo are now one!

Comment

Thanks for the reply! Unfortunately I haven't been able to reproduce the second issue today. We did switch to Adobe CC 2018, so perhaps that has fixed it? Either way I appreciate the help!

Comment

Working...
      X