Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Standalone: 3Ds max's .ifl files are not properly supported.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Standalone: 3Ds max's .ifl files are not properly supported.

Hello,
    I've stumbled over an issue regarding V-Ray Standalone and .ifl files.

3ds max creates .ifl files in this fashion (without absolute or relative pathing info):

mybitmap01.jpg
    mybitmap02.jpg
    mybitmap03.jpg

if you link this .ifl file to a Vray material slot and export it to a .vrscene using 3ds max. the file that's linked in the ifl file will not be found by Vray standalone.
    however if you change the ifl file in this way (add relative pathing info), it will be found by Vray Standalone (if the bitmap is there of course).

./mybitmap01.jpg
    ./mybitmap02.jpg
    ./mybitmap03.jpg

I understand why this happens, and the fact that 3ds max just does it the "wrong" way is a pitty.
    But I think Vray standalone should adapt to this and support the way in which 3ds max creates ifl files
    in order to enhance compatibility to the DCC application, I think that this kind of compatibility is important.

Thank you
    -Robert

Hello,

There is actually a bug in the way we treat IFL files that don't contain any path - we try to use the path to the IFL file itself in that case. But if you export with strip paths - there is no file path to the IFL file itself and as a result we add wrong paths to the .jpg files instead of just using the current directory.

Thanks for the report and sorry for the inconvenience.

Best regards,
    Yavor
    Yavor Rubenov
    V-Ray for 3ds Max developer

Comment

Working...
    X