Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Glass material not letting light through properly

Hi guys.

This problem has been bugging me now since last week yet I can't seem to fix it or work out why it's not working properly. I'm trying to recreate the lights seen in the picture below. When the fog lights are turned on, the glass in real life lets a lot of white light through, despite the lens being red. When I recreate this in max + vray, the light remains red no matter what intensity I use.

Also, with the day running lights, these lights have a high-powered LED that shoots light through a glass tube (you can see the start of this where the light is a bit more yellow), bouncing off the chrome behind the glass tube and refracting around the tube itself. To get the light stripe, I've created a spline and turned it in to a vray mesh light. The glass is a standard glass material and the lens is the same material but with red in the fog. If I use 60 in the light multiplier, it looks the same as if I use 600.

Surely if I am ramping the intensity up so much, it should be affecting the material?
    Attached Files
    CGI Artist @ Staud Studios

Originally posted by AC5L4T3R View Post
    Hi guys.

This problem has been bugging me now since last week yet I can't seem to fix it or work out why it's not working properly. I'm trying to recreate the lights seen in the picture below. When the fog lights are turned on, the glass in real life lets a lot of white light through, despite the lens being red. When I recreate this in max + vray, the light remains red no matter what intensity I use.
    This sounds like the fog or refraction color, whatever you use to make the red glass is rgb 255,0,0. Like perfectly red wich always will output red no matter how high the intensity or exposure is.

If I use 60 in the light multiplier, it looks the same as if I use 600.
    Surely if I am ramping the intensity up so much, it should be affecting the material?
    This could be caused by the Max ray intensity. check if it' s turned on. If yes, turn it off and see if it gets better.

Comment

I suppose you are looking for an effect similar to this?
      This was easy: The red rear light cover was tinted using fog, and the self illuminating parts behind the cover had a light material with a falloff from yellow to red. Play with the falloff as needed.
      Parts with fog have to be closed two sided meshes, otherwise it just renders black. This shouldn't be a problem with data from MB, as they do it right if I remember correctly. In other places the b-sides are deleted for "performance-reasons"...

Click image for larger version

Name:	light_crop.JPG
Views:	1343
Size:	33.1 KB
ID:	1016845
      https://www.behance.net/Oliver_Kossatz

Comment

Originally posted by kosso_olli View Post
        I suppose you are looking for an effect similar to this?
        This was easy: The red rear light cover was tinted using fog, and the self illuminating parts behind the cover had a light material with a falloff from yellow to red. Play with the falloff as needed.
        Parts with fog have to be closed two sided meshes, otherwise it just renders black. This shouldn't be a problem with data from MB, as they do it right if I remember correctly. In other places the b-sides are deleted for "performance-reasons"...

Click image for larger version

Name:	light_crop.JPG
Views:	1343
Size:	33.1 KB
ID:	1016845
        I have to use vray lights for light select render passes. The way you described is the way I've been doing it in the past though.

Comment

Originally posted by samuel_bubat View Post

This sounds like the fog or refraction color, whatever you use to make the red glass is rgb 255,0,0. Like perfectly red wich always will output red no matter how high the intensity or exposure is.
          Well that seems like the problem is solved. I changed it to 255,1,1 and now I'm getting white light through red glass. Nice one, thanks!

Max Ray Intensity is turned off but the above changed solved the issue.

Comment

Originally posted by AC5L4T3R View Post

I have to use vray lights for light select render passes.
            But why do you have to have the rear lights behind glass in a light select pass?

https://www.behance.net/Oliver_Kossatz

Comment

Originally posted by kosso_olli View Post

But why do you have to have the rear lights behind glass in a light select pass?
              Can render with all lights on (running lights, indicators, reverse etc) and turn them off/on in comp.

Comment

Working...
              X