Metalness and backwards compatibility

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Metalness and backwards compatibility

Since there was no metalness in 3.6, what does one do if a scene created with Next has metalness in their materials and needs to be opened in 3.6?
    V-Ray Evangelist, Trainer and Freelancer
    www.behance.net/rickeloy

I tried it and it just looks like 0 metalness, so the metal look has to be tweaked back using the old way (black diffuse, high fresnel and colored reflection).

Comment

Yeah, I'm afraid so... I was just wondering if there's another workaround that does not involve re-doing all the materials...
      www.behance.net/rickeloy

Comment

Quick question: is the metalness method more correct over the 'older' method? Or is just another way to get to the same point?
        A.

---------------------
        www.digitaltwins.be

Comment

Originally posted by Rick Eloy View Post
          Yeah, I'm afraid so... I was just wondering if there's another workaround that does not involve re-doing all the materials...
          a simple script that copied the diffuse color into the reflection color, and made the diffuse black would likely do it.
          Lele
          Trouble Stirrer in RnD @ Chaos
          ----------------------
          emanuele.lecchi@chaos.com

Disclaimer:
          The views and opinions expressed here are my own and do not represent those of Chaos Group, unless otherwise stated.

Comment

Originally posted by ^Lele^ View Post
            a simple script that copied the diffuse color into the reflection color, and made the diffuse black would likely do it.
            So that's the only thing that's different, output should be exactly the same?
            A.

---------------------
            www.digitaltwins.be

Comment

Makes sense. This could also be an option in the V-Ray Scene Converter dialog, huh?
              www.behance.net/rickeloy

Comment

Originally posted by Vizioen View Post

So that's the only thing that's different, output should be exactly the same?
                I'm not sure 3.x has glossy fresnel in the vrayMtl.

Makes sense. This could also be an option in the V-Ray Scene Converter dialog, huh?
                Good idea, i think, if we could detect the shaders which required it.
                Lele
                Trouble Stirrer in RnD @ Chaos
                ----------------------
                emanuele.lecchi@chaos.com

Disclaimer:
                The views and opinions expressed here are my own and do not represent those of Chaos Group, unless otherwise stated.

Comment

I'm not sure 3.x has glossy fresnel in the vrayMtl.
                  It does
                  A.

---------------------
                  www.digitaltwins.be

Comment

Working...
                  X