Lengthy "Transforming vertices" in new vray 4.2 version

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lengthy "Transforming vertices" in new vray 4.2 version

So I decided to test out the new Vray Next to see if it was worth the upgrade. I was using max2014 and my trusty 3.4 version and I noticed right away that every rendering with 4.2(Next) takes its time during the "transforming vertices" stage. 3.4 generally zipped right through this, but 4.2 takes a good 35-40 seconds every time. Even with a new file with just a box. 3.4 will render this file in 2 sec, and 4.2 will take almost 1 min as it hangs on the "transforming vertices". What I have noticed with 2 identical machines side by side, one with 3.4 and one with 4.2, is that on large demanding files, while 4.2 lags on the "transforming vertices" it does render quicker during the render phase. i.e a 3.4 scene came out as 27min, and the 4.2 came out as 20min.
    Does this sound right? 4.2 renders quicker, but takes much longer for the "scene setup"?
    I guess that works well with large scenes, but when I'm doing small projects early in development the time is 2-3 time longer then 3.4 because of the additional 30-40 sec "transforming vertices." I generally used to see the lengthy "transforming vertices" only when using DR with the farm.
    Is there a new hidden setting I'm missing, because I'm not thrilled with the outcome of Next on small scenes.
    Thanks,
    All feedback is welcome.

I can't reproduce that on any of the scenes that I've tested. Is it possible for you to send me to vlado@chaosgroup.com a scene which has a slower "transforming vertices" stage in V-Ray Next compared to 3.x?

Best regards,
    Vlado
    I only act like I know everything, Rogers.

Comment

SOLVED
      I finally figured this out. Unknown to me, my old default file was using c:\VRayLog.txt. This was never an issue up to v3.4, but after that all older files (and your Default MAXSTART.MAX if you use one) needs to be changed to %TEMP%. And I should point out that after changing the path you need to save the file and restart Max to reset the temp variable. My files zip right through "transforming vertices" and "loading bitmaps" now.

Comment

Hi I am getting the very same thing with my scene, granted it is quite large. Transforming vertices for 22m 01s 45 then 3m after transforming vertices first bucket kicks in and then 5m to actually render the scene. I am on 4.2 update 2 and it is driving me bonkers.

Am i the only one?

Yeeha68, can you elaborate on your method above re %TEMP% not clear on the process am afraid.

Thanks.

Comment

I suppose yeeha68 means the option in the settings tab (see attachment). You can delete the text and leave it blank and see if it helps.

Best regards,
          Vlado
          Attached Files

Comment

Thanks Vlado, it was already set they same as your image, will try with it blank. Testing it now...

Comment

Found out what is causing the problem...Forest Pro. Will need to see how to resolve it now. I have collisions switch off as they suggested and that did not work so will try Custom edit.

Comment

Ok, good to know. Thanks for the update!

Best regards,
                Vlado

Comment

Working...
                X