Highlight in VBF problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Highlight in VBF problem

Hi, I'm try test Highlight with Vray Frame Buffer. (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ctub0-sQO6A tutorial). In this tutorial, it's good, it's same workflow of photoshop and corona render. But in my case highlight is not work.
    I'm try change highlight but it's similar a black mask, it's impact to all area of image. And i get a bad result. What's is my problem? Thanks you
    Attached Files

Yes that's confused me too before.
    If you are using Reinhard colormapping then make sure you set burn value to 1.0 or you can use lower value (to help vray sampler) and set colormapping to none so you get linear image.
    That way frame buffer controls will work as excpected including contrast highlight burn and lens effects.
    -------------------------------------------------------------
    Simply, I love to put pixels together! Sounds easy right : ))
    Sketchbook-1 /Sketchbook-2 / Behance / Facebook

Comment

Originally posted by M.Max View Post
      Yes that's confused me too before.
      If you are using Reinhard colormapping then make sure you set burn value to 1.0 or you can use lower value (to help vray sampler) and set colormapping to none so you get linear image.
      That way frame buffer controls will work as excpected including contrast highlight burn and lens effects.
      Thank you but i think burn value 1.0 isn't not problem in this case. It's still work with other burn value.

Comment

There seem to be no highlights to compress.
        Did you change the default settings for clamping and color mapping?
        Lele
        Trouble Stirrer in RnD @ Chaos
        ----------------------
        emanuele.lecchi@chaos.com

Disclaimer:
        The views and opinions expressed here are my own and do not represent those of Chaos Group, unless otherwise stated.

Comment

Originally posted by ^Lele^ View Post
          There seem to be no highlights to compress.
          Did you change the default settings for clamping and color mapping?
          With that image i use setting similar this tutorial: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vFRVlJ7glnk&t=1995s and in this tutorial it's good.

Comment

I don't speak Spanish, and surely ain't going to look for color mapping settings in a two hours tutorial.
            It's easier, for the next time, to post a screenshot of your own settings.
            Regardless, I suggest you to revert to default color mapping, no clamping, no harsh tonal compression, and see what the VFB gives you.
            It works just fine here, provided there is any range at all above the visible.
            Lele
            ----------------------

Disclaimer:
            The views and opinions expressed here are my own and do not represent those of Chaos Group, unless otherwise stated.

Comment

Originally posted by tue_nguyen View Post

Thank you but i think burn value 1.0 isn't not problem in this case. It's still work with other burn value.
              Most probably as Lele have mentioned you are using some kind of clamping or different color mapping that mess with the color range .
              In the video linked above as far as I can see (I've watched it quickly) Adán is discussing all kind of combinations for color mapping and linear workflow so it is hard to tell which one you are using here .
              I would recommend using the default settings too (at least as starting point)

-------------------------------------------------------------
              Simply, I love to put pixels together! Sounds easy right : ))
              Sketchbook-1 /Sketchbook-2 / Behance / Facebook

Comment

I don't speak Spanish, and surely ain't going to look for color mapping settings in a two hours tutorial.
                It's easier, for the next time, to post a screenshot of your own settings.
                Regardless, I suggest you to revert to default color mapping, no clamping, no harsh tonal compression, and see what the VFB gives you.
                It works just fine here, provided there is any range at all above the visible.
                Thank you Lele, I'm sorry because forgot add time of youtube video.
                Attached Files

Comment

This is the problem i expected to find: you're trying to compress an already compressed range.
                  The aggressive colormapping Burn value will all but mute the high energy samples, so that by the time you go to the VFB, the algorithm there has no high dynamic range data to process (the pixel depth stays at 32bpc, but the actual data ranges used aren't big.).
                  Because of the way the Reinhard (and any other ToneMapping Operator which compresses the high tones, for that matter.) formula is, it will squash down also the parts which are now mid-range.
                  You'll have to work with other controls to achieve what you're looking for, without losing the contrast (say, exposure, contrast, and so on: the linear ones).
                  Or you can set the burn value back to 1.0 (or closer to it), and then the VFB operator will find the data it needs, and compress only that.
                  But you can't do it twice.
                  Lele
                  ----------------------

Disclaimer:

Comment

Just set color mapping mode to none.
                    A.

---------------------
                    www.digitaltwins.be

Comment

This is the problem i expected to find: you're trying to compress an already compressed range.
                      The aggressive colormapping Burn value will all but mute the high energy samples, so that by the time you go to the VFB, the algorithm there has no high dynamic range data to process (the pixel depth stays at 32bpc, but the actual data ranges used aren't big.).
                      Because of the way the Reinhard (and any other ToneMapping Operator which compresses the high tones, for that matter.) formula is, it will squash down also the parts which are now mid-range.
                      You'll have to work with other controls to achieve what you're looking for, without losing the contrast (say, exposure, contrast, and so on: the linear ones).
                      Or you can set the burn value back to 1.0 (or closer to it), and then the VFB operator will find the data it needs, and compress only that.
                      But you can't do it twice.
                      No, i don't think it's problem. Because in video tutorial i attach, Adan uses burn value 0.1 and it's still work good.

Comment

Originally posted by Vizioen View Post
                        Just set color mapping mode to none.
                        Thank you alot ! I change gamma to none and it works perfect!

Comment

EDIT: deleted for OT reply.
                          Lele
                          ----------------------

Disclaimer:

Comment

Working...
                          X