Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

VrayProxy object loading alembic files does not 'hold' first frame.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• VrayProxy object loading alembic files does not 'hold' first frame.

Hello,
    I'm wondering if there is a way to do the following:

I'm batch- exporting alembic files from 3ds max 2019 with the new alembic exporter. When I use "#currentframe" as AnimTimeRange property and load it via a Vray Proxy object, it becomes visible and changing the time slider does not affect it in any way - great.

if I'm using #StartEnd as AnimTimeRange property and export a specific time-range and then load the alembic file via Vray Proxy object (and set the animation offset so it reflects the range), the proxy object does not show the mesh prior to the first exported frame. I understand that this is a technically correct behavior, but I'd really like like to 'hold' the first exported frame.

Why? Well I don't always want to export the entire timeline (which would actually fix my problem). Even though the alembic file would not get much bigger if nothing is happening to the mesh because it just 'sits' there, not doing vertex animation or transformations, but the time it takes to export the entire timeline compared to just a fraction of it does generate quite considerable overhead. Especially when you batch- export thousands of objects.

By the way, I also find the behavior of the vray proxy object a little inconsistent because if I export a mesh as an alembic file, lets say from frame 60-80, then load it in the proxy object, then set the offset to -60 and set the Playback to "Play once", the first frame of the mesh-animation is NOT visible prior to frame 60 but IS visible after frame 80 and further. So optimally it should be consistent by not loading the mesh prior and past the first and the last frame but having the option to "hold" the first as well as the last frame.

Could you implement this?
    It would be much appreciated.

Thanks
    -Robert

Can you provide more information about the alembic export settings as well as sending us two separate scenes with #currentframe and #startend time-range?
    I'm trying to recreate that from scratch but I can't see such options in 3dsmax 2019 native .abc exporter:
    Click image for larger version

Name:	3dsmax_2018-11-20_11-29-12.jpg
Views:	188
Size:	32.4 KB
ID:	1017726
    If possible send us an example about the last example you mentioned about inconsistent behaviour with Play Once.
    Svetlozar Draganov | Senior Manager 3D Support | contact us
    Chaos & Enscape & Cylindo are now one!

Comment

Working...
    X