Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Distributed rendering and XREFS not loading

Hello!
    We have been using distributed rendering on some VR jobs recently and sometimes when the host is rendering everything fine, if a machine has left something like slack or chrome open and they're down a couple gb of ram from their max, their machine might skip a couple of the xrefs and decide to start rendering anyway.
    We are on 3.6.03 - not upgraded to next yet but plan to soon.

Is this still an issue in next or has it been fixed? It's quite annoying, we can send a render before the end of the day, see that it's going fine, leave, and the next day the second half of that render and all subsequent ones have buckets that skipped for example the 'rugs' xref.
    Solution is to save the file, merge them all in, then send the render and not save that file, but this is still a huge timesink as it's a VR job made up of every scene we produced for a project with 30 xrefs, rendering with an animated camera - it would be very helpful if DR could know if a machine is slacking and stop it from contributing to the render.
    I'd rather sacrifice a few ghz than have to send every vr node as a separate render and manually switch xrefs on and off before every submission.

This isn't urgent because we'll work around this on the current project, but I think it is an important feature to have.

Odd problem Neil.
    I use xrefs and DR all the time and never have issues in 3.6 or Next.
    Do you use mapped drives or UNC paths?
    Also what version of 3dsmax?

Chris Jackson
    Shiftmedia
    www.shiftmedia.sydney

Comment

Is there anything interesting in the V-Ray log file? If you turn on the “check for missing files” option, a slave that fails to find an XRef should refuse to join the render.

Best regards,
      Vlado
      I only act like I know everything, Rogers.

Comment

Edit: check for missing assets was off - didn't see that. However with that on, does that mean a file that pops up the 'missing assets' error when opening it will not render? I know it's a bad habit, but we occasionally get those and they end up being ignored. If so i'll go through the xrefs today and make sure none have that issue.

Is there a log file stored per job? we spent all day rendering to the machine yesterday...

These are the DR settings -

The most recent time it happened was when we only had the glass and the sun in the main scene and the DR nodes bailed on every xref - i'll run a test next week where we DR a job to every machine so that half can run out of memory and do this, and i'll make sure to keep the log.
        Attached Files
        Last edited by Neilg; 21-11-2018, 10:41 AM.

Comment

Normally the log is in the temporary folder on the DR slave; the location depends on the user account that runs the spawner - log in with that account and type %temp% in Windows Explorer to go there, and check the file vraylog.txt right after a render (the file is rewritten on every 3ds Max start). Look for any warnings or errors, or you can send it to me at vlado@chaosgroup.com to take a look.

Best regards,
          Vlado
          I only act like I know everything, Rogers.

Comment

Working...
          X