Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Max crashes when saving a render from VFB over an old image by copying and pasting the whole path

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Max crashes when saving a render from VFB over an old image by copying and pasting the whole path

I'm getting very frequent crashes when I overwrite an image by saving from VFB. This happens when I copy and paste the full path of the old image including the file name in the save dialog and hit enter. The overwritten images are on a mapped network drive. Let me know if you need the crash dumps and scene.

Click image for larger version  Name:	vray_VFB_save_crash.jpg Views:	1 Size:	160.3 KB ID:	1019291
    Last edited by Alex_M; 03-12-2018, 02:18 PM.
    Max 2023.2.2 + Vray 6 Update 2.1 ( 6.20.06 )
    AMD Ryzen 7950X 16-core | 64GB DDR5 RAM 6400 Mbps | MSI GeForce RTX 3090 Suprim X 24GB (rendering) | GeForce GTX 1080 Ti FE 11GB (display) | GPU Driver 546.01 | NVMe SSD Samsung 980 Pro 1TB | Win 10 Pro x64 22H2

Hello!

We couldn't reproduce the crash.
    Please, send us the files for further investigation - to me margarita.stoeva@chaosgroup.com or to the support guys with a link to this thread.
    It's probably something specific to your scene or network. Does this crash reproduce if you try to re-save the same output on your machine in a regular folder?
    Also, if you keep in your VFB history folder a rendered image that causes crash on re-save, please, send this .vrimg file to us with the other files.
    Thank you!

Best regards,
    Margarita
    Margarita Stoeva | chaos.com
    Chaos QA (V-Ray for 3ds Max)

Comment

Thanks for the info, Margarita. I've just sent you and support an email with description and a download link for the files. Support ticket number: 511-941-129
      AMD Ryzen 7950X 16-core | 64GB DDR5 RAM 6400 Mbps | MSI GeForce RTX 3090 Suprim X 24GB (rendering) | GeForce GTX 1080 Ti FE 11GB (display) | GPU Driver 546.01 | NVMe SSD Samsung 980 Pro 1TB | Win 10 Pro x64 22H2

Comment

Thank you for your files!

I suspect that the cause for the crash is probably filepath length overflow. 3ds Max (and Windows in general) use a maximum of 255-character for file locations (filepath plus filename total length). When part of such long path is mapped my tests show the output is somehow saved but when trying to use the full path instead leads to crash as the one you experienced. This happens not only when saving from VFB but also when saving from 3ds Max output field. If this is the actual cause for your crash you can prevent it by using shorter filepaths.
        If you find that the crash persists with shorter paths, please, let us know so we can find any other underlying reason for it.

Best regards,
        Margarita
        Margarita Stoeva | chaos.com
        Chaos QA (V-Ray for 3ds Max)

Comment

Thanks for the thorough explanation. I've noticed that I don't get the crash if I paste the folder path only (without the filename) no matter how long it is. I'll keep this in mind for the future.

Comment

Working...
          X