• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Couple of IPR/Max questions please - IPR Viewport Quality and 1 more

Hi,

So 2 questions please.

Vray Next Update 1 & Max 2019 - no plugins with this scene

1) I've noticed that the quality of the rendering in IPR viewport is not the same as VFB IPR. When using IPR in the viewport I get banding of colors, the lights are not correct and the render is blurry. OTOH with the VFB IPR it's crisp and sharp - just how the final render will be. So is there a setting I need to check to get good quality in the viewport or is that just a limitation of that application?

2) I"ve also noticed that there seems to be a "warm up" period when using IPR - after initiating the IPR it can take 2+ minutes before the render begins. At that time the screen will freeze, then turn white - if you wait it will begin to render fine - like I said takes about 2 minutes for VFB IPR - a little less for viewport. PC specs below.

Windows 7 SP1
    i7-4790 4.0Ghz
    32GB ram
    GTX 1080 8GB Vram

1) is because the viewport uses 8 bits for the colors and after gamma correction this leads to banding. We will need some help from Autodesk to enable us to use floating-point colors for viewport IPR.

2) Would it be possible to send me a scene for this to vlado@chaosgroup.com so that I can check what is going on during the startup?

Best regards,
    Vlado
    I only act like I know everything, Rogers.

Comment

Thanks Vlado for explanation on viewport banding.

The scene in question is several million polys - I just tried IPR with very simple scene and it was immediate - I am assuming that the time IPR takes to initialize would be based on the amount of geometry in scene - right? If so then that is why the long "warm up" for my scene.

Thanks again!
      Daf

Comment

Working...
      X